Phoenix D7 race is postponed

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by jeff_7306, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jeff_7306

jeff_7306 Member

Looks like the race will be re-scheduled later in the year. The track was coming apart.

Just as well.

Jeff

2. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Jeff; didn't see there.

The problem with the track is that according to the release Firebird issued today, the "wrong production of traction compound was used the last two weeks".

Funny is that TAD & TAFC both were running pretty good numbers, TAD was 5.40 & TAFC was 5.60 and the speeds were 262 in TAD and 258 in TAFC, if I remember correctly.

Let me know if you need any graphics done.

3. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Looks like the track didn't fix itself :rolleyes:

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

doorslammers

I can't say for sure because I was kind of locked in my own 'compound' this weekend, but from what I gather, the door cars were having a hard time getting down the left lane. They lost a car Thursday night in testing. Then they had a few near misses and a lot of T-stop cars having problems on Friday. I think the Alky cars have enough downforce and speed built into them they didn't have the problems the slicker door cars did.

From what I've been told you can't put much more downforce into today's doorcars because it will start making the tires hit the wheelwells

5. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Firebird track conditions

Those two pro stock cars that crashed? Was that the phoenix National event? Will the track or NHRA pick up the tab on those two cars?
    Dave Germain

6. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Yes, it was the national... I HIGHLY doubt NHRA or the track will pick up the tab.

7. clint thompson

scary

I have a 4 photo sequence of a hairy scary ride in that lane two years ago. Twice my car made a hard left towards the wall just past the finish line. the only thing that saved me was the chutes were already coming out and the headers acted like training wheels to keep the car upright. Both times exactly the same spot exactly the same result. I was winning rounds that day and the left lane was far superior early to the right. I took the left for the final against Gordon and was actually relieved when I smoked the tires right off the line. I wasn't sure I would be lucky enough one more time. There is definately something wrong with that lane near the finish line and right after the finish line. Kinda slopes towards the wall and there is obviously bumps that upset the cars. Same reason I won't race at Woodburn anymore. :(

8. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

NHRA >> "we tried NOTHING and we're all out of ideas" followed by "where is my new jet" :eek: :rolleyes:

9. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Now THAT is some good stuff right there!!

10. D7D

D7D Member

My apologies to those that spent the time, money, and effort to attend the LODRS at Firebird.

D7 is looking for a new leader, any takers? Seems to be a lot of people out there that know it all.

Safety is #1 in my book, end of story. I hope you understand.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  11. DOUG GORDON

Great track for us

I just want to say that I was racing there this weekend. In my opinion the race track was in great condition. We went 3.67 at 207 on the first run to half track and then banged the blower (we guess it would of gone approx 5.56). On the next run it stuck the tire to the track and shook and slowed to 5.64 at 259. We believe the track was good enough to go at least mid 5.50s. It is hard to believe it is a bad track when you can do that. People there talk about us having downforce but I dont believe we have much at the point in the run where the trottle stop guys were supposedly having problems. I have been to tracks that are not good and we adjust the tune up, or add wicker, or change driving to compensate.
    I do understand the decision that Mike Rice made. I am sure I would have done the same in his shoes. I think people were overreacting to a problem that was in thier head from watching or being at the race the weekend before and forced him to make the call.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Hey Mike:

Is the race "cancelled" or will it pick up where it left off at some other place/time. Are fields set, will qualifying start over or will there be one more session?

The reason I ask is that we were unable to go to Phoenix and are curious about our chances at the new date.

Thanks,

RG

13. jeffj

jeffj Member

I totally agree with everything Doug Gordon said. We were stuck way too hard on both qualifiers; .910 and .913 60'. Huge shake and only 207 & 208 at 660' but 5.52/260 and 5.500/260 on back to back qualifiers in each lane. With a correct setup, which we did not achieve in the 2 passes, I'm confident that low 5.40's to high 5.30's were achievable. Both of our runs were straight as a string and although I actually didn't see every run I saw no alcohol cars moving around worth mentioning.
    I think guys need to spend a bit of time learning to adjust their cars to suit conditions and less time swarming the race officials. I'm not saying that some cars didn't have handling problems; just that there should be easy basic adjustments which would result in smooth safe runs. If TA/FC's can go 5.60 and TA/Ds 5.40's then there must be an easily attainable 8.90, 9.90 or 10.90 setup.
    Meanwhile we get to enjoy a 3000+ mile round trip for...........................
    Jeff Johnsen

14. D7D

D7D Member

Qualifying runs made to this point will stand. No new entries in TAD/TAFC as tech was closed, but other classes will remain open as they are basically all run. One more session is planned. Hope to have a date announced soon.

15. Steve Gasparrelli

Mike,

Most (if not all) the alcohol guys wanted to run the race out as you have probably already heard...100 more times than you would care to I bet :)

However, most of us understood that your decision was based on input from all classes...not just alcohol guys. You errored on the side of caution and safety for all. Can't bitch too much about that.

My vote, as well as many of the TAFC guys, was to finish it at Tucson or Vegas...if possible. August or September in PHX is brutally hot.

BTW, do you ever get any attaboy e-mails after the D7 races when they go well 99% of the time?

I'll send you an attaboy after Tucson...a BIG one if I can somehow avoid the launching pad bumps in the left lane twice in qualifying :)

Your doing a great job for D7.

Steve