Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Slayer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Slayer

Slayer Member

What is the part number or name for the grease used on head stud threads that everybody calls peanut butter. I know it's used in the diesel industry. Thanks!!

2. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

you could try Skippy,Teddy, or detroit diesel international compound number 2
    The international number 2 tastes terrible :D

3. Slayer

Slayer Member

Thanks! I didn't think Skippy would work on the head studs either.... :D

4. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

This is from an old thread,

Henry Charest
    Comp Eliminator Join Date: May 2006

Torquing Compound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peanut Butter, as it is referred to, is a Detroit Diesel product. It is called International Compound #2, GM part, 1#5198563. This stuff is great for head and main studs, and pushrods. Whatever you do, don't use it on rod bolts, or you'll rue the day!!! Its fairly expensive at about 38.00 per can, but the can ought to last nearly a lifetime, even if you're in your 30's.
    Henry

5. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

IT is now @ $42.00 Dealer

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

What's wrong with oil?

What's so good about "peanut butter"? what's it do that oil doesn't?

7. dragboat316

dragboat316 Member

"Peanut Butter"

It is a special lubricant for use, as stated earlier, on threaded high torque bolts that will improve the tightening capabilties far superior to oil or grease, which will "squeeze" out under high torque pressures..100+ lbs. It looks like and has the consistancy similar to "peanut butter". It is distributed exclusively through Detroit Diesel parts departments, part number and description has already been listed, and is not available from GM Parts.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You get a truer torque at high ft lbs with peanut butter. When you start torquing the heads up over 130 ft/lbs and you feel and hear a slight popping/creaking sound then there is no way the torque can be accurate. The peanut butter makes it smooth for a true torque without changing the amount of torque.

According to Terry Manto you should NEVER use peanut butter to lubricate pushrod ends because it does not breakdown in oil and will block the flow of oil to the pushrod ends. I know that when I look at my head studs after many runs the excess peanut has not washed away in the oil.

9. nitrohaulic

nitrohaulic Bracket Racer

I've known people to use it on pushrod ends. I'd like to see some debate about that. Has anyone had bad experiences with it on pushrod ends?

10. Eric David Bru

If the peanut butter doesn't block the flow of oil up the pushrod what does it hurt?

EDB

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

According to Terry Manton it is totally the wrong stuff to use on pushrod ends. Never designed for that and blocks the oil from getting to the pushrods. Contains no molybdenum disulfide. I believe that Terry Manton knows more about pushrods and pushrod failure than anybody else I know and I go with what he says. The correct lube is out there so why not use it. Go ahead and use what you want but I will not use peanut putter on pushrods.

12. Eric David Bru

Just wondering.... We've never used it on the N/TF's or the Hot Rod's push rods.

EDB

13. superpro453

superpro453 Member

Why should it not be used on rod bolts?

14. Slayer

Slayer Member

You should go by what the rod manufacturer says to use. If the bolt is designed to torque to 90 ft. lbs. with oil as a lubricant it will achieve a certain amount of stretch. If you change the lubricant (also changing the friction) to one that has more lubricity then you will change the stretch.

15. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

Will make no difference if you measure stretch like you should.You are doing the same with head bolts if the manufacturer says torque should be 105lbs with moly & then you use another lube.

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I would not recommend using peanut butter on rods. Either use the rod maker's recommended weight oil or the ARP moly.

Different types of lubrications are made for different jobs. You wouldn't use a gear oil as a motor oil so why use peanut butter for a pushrod lubricant of a rod bolt lubricant. The rod bolt stretch is real critical and the rod makers know exactly how much stretch they want out of their bolts with the specifically prescribed lubricant and torque.

17. Slayer

Slayer Member

MKR-588: I agree that the rod bolt stretch should be measured and then the type of lubricant doesn't matter. But in the field in the heat of battle between rounds (especially on fuel cars) there isn't time, so you go by torque. They know that if you torque to say 90 foot pounds with 70 weight motor oil, you will get the proper amount of stretch. Because friction is also part of torquing, using a different lubricant (or none) can skew the stretch at the same torque.

18. mark6052

mark6052 Member

do you use the peanut butter on the studs going into the block or just on the top as you tighten the nuts on the head? I assume this stuff is petroleum based, and it wont break down with oil?

19. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

nuts washers studs on the heads and mains.......never on the rods. Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr
    p.s. remember the counter sink on the rod bolt washers face the head of the rod bolt

20. Creech

Creech Member

I dont know about using skippy, I think they sweeten it. What about the generic sunshinene brand they give out in the bread lines tastes just like detroit diesel international compound # 2 and it's free? :eek::eek::eek:

ps: moly zinc phosphorus assembly lube on the pushrods and valve springs. oil on the rod bolts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009