parachute quickness/ finishline activation/engine braking

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blownapex, Apr 11, 2016.

1. blownapex

blownapex Member

since the last few pdra crashes I have some questions
    what is the quickest and lightest activating parachute
    1-air deployed
    2-spring deployed
    3-pilot pulling everything out (lightest and what I have)

I see a lot of crashes at the finish line on automatic cars, maybe from engine braking , slick track,
    being out groove, liquid or something on tires
    when you have a car out of the groove and a hand full of steering wheel its hard to get the chut out
    at the same time you lift (engine braking from automatic)
    not many will save it when things happen this fast
    has any body thought about say after 3 second or so (depending 1/8 or 1/4)
    putting a wot long throw switch under throttle and activating the parachute when lifting to say 1/8 throttle
    (or a idle switch with 3 sec delay )

or these cars need a large sprag on driveline so it can free wheel when lifting
    it has to lock so we can backup

I bought the tuterow air pod and solenoid so it dumps air when power is shut off

I don't think any of this is fast enough and needs to be automaticly activated
    (dump air and parachute when lifting off throttle

any ideas on how to do this
    thanks

2. pete9857

pete9857 Member

how about activating the chutes and cutting the engine with a YAW sensor? Car wiggles to a certain degree, and the computer takes care of it. Like a sideways G sensor?

overkill69 likes this.
  3. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Air activated release with a button on the steering wheel.

4. TOL

TOL Active Member

Voice activated. When the driver says "Oh Sh$%..." the auto sequences kick in :).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    GregM784 and Blownalky like this.
  5. TOL

TOL Active Member

Actually this is a very good topic for discussion, and one that needs to be openly addressed for safety at some point.

Let's collectively look at the recent Ronnie Davis crash as an example, and figure out what could have been done different to either prevent or mitigate his incident.

Automated systems deployed, different design personal safety systems, different head protection, different suspension, stable aero, controls, devices, etc......

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

If you watched that car every round something was wrong with it. It never got off the line. Like possibly something was broke or breaking. I'm really suprised that Lahee or Davis hasn't came up with a lateral g sensor that would deploy chutes if it exceeds a certain g.

TADHemiracer likes this.
  7. TOL

TOL Active Member

Might be, but an "Oh Shit" autonomous deploy button might have helped him if he had it at his thumb or his fist for immediate grab.

Or how about a supervised external "Oh Shit" remote button held by someone watching like a track official or spotter or crew member? Chutes out earlier would have snagged him around maybe?

To me watching the video over and over, it looks just like any other PS or PM or TS loss of control at the top end with current thinking aero/chassis thinking. Steer, trip, massive switch oversteer, and then flung off to a bad state with air under the body.

Not the driver's fault for trying to correct, but he's doomed from the outset with what he has to work with in a timely fashion.

How do we make these vehicles inherently directionally stable and safe? How do we readily automate the safety systems? How do we make these vehicles autonomously safe if the driver does not (or cannot) intervene?

I don't have the answers, just a bunch of wondering questions.....

8. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Roof flaps like NASCAR has would probably have kept the car from becoming airborne and the wall would have kept it on the track IMHO

9. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

I watched that run at least a hundred times. Thank you very much MotorMedia for not taking it down. I'm sure Ronnie would like the racing community to figure out what happened so another racer doesn't get lost.

I just went through a crash in the fall and it was due to no chutes and the tires got locked up by necessity. From what I saw, Ronnie's chutes never deployed. I'm wondering if the brakes were hit too hard and the tires couldn't slow the car but instead got it airborne by breaking the friction of the tire to the surface.

My thought is that we may need a slow speed braking pressure and a high speed braking pressure. I say this because at slower speeds we at times need to bury the pedal to stop, especially with carbon when it's cold. At high speeds with a chute, no issue as you are used to a light pedal and the chutes pull the back of the car down helping it to brake and the natural help of the chute does not create a panic situation. When a run has no chutes and there is no downforce and the turnoff is coming up quick the tendency is to give it more foot. When that happens, the fronts lock and the rears either bounce or leave the track altogether.

I'm like Duanne as I'm not sure what transmissions have sprags to provide or not provide engine braking, Engine braking at this speed in my opinion would just exacerbate the issue. I think you need to rely on the chutes and brakes but what do you do if the chutes fail? That is why I think a lower pressure brake system is needed at speed and then at a lower speed the higher rate kick in.

I don't have the answers but just throwing it out there as I'm sure input from the smart minds will produce an answer.

Tom Dwyer

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I have a track record of being very proactive when it comes to safety, but this is a difficult accident to really pinpoint something that 'if we would have done this....'

In most fatality cases there are a chain of events that lead to the accident which took Ronnie's life. Usually, if any one of those freak event's don't happen, the outcome would be much different.

The car really did not follow normal race car physics. Normally if a car makes a hard right turn, it will start to barrel roll passenger side over the driver's side. Clearly when you slow this accident down, the wind got under the car.

From what I could see on the video, the wind was blowing pretty hard as a semi head/cross wind. The shutdown area at Rockingham slopes downward past the finish line. When Ronnie crossed the centerline, he took out the 1/4 mile cones. The car looked like it was starting to do a normal barrel roll, then the wind got under it. It lifted the car nose down well into the air. The car carried over the wall, but the front end just clipped the top of the wall as it was coming down. Pure speculation here, but from what I could see after looking at the video several times, when it hooked the front of the car, that acted like the fulcrum of a lever and multiplied the force of the top of the cage/roof impacting the ground, taking the brunt of the impact to the roof. From there it barrel rolled through the grass out of view.

As mentioned above, had any one thing not happened, might have been a different outcome.

I can't see where flaps would have had enough time to do anything in this particular instance. The wind got under it while it was sideways. The car was vertical before flaps would have had a chance to bring the car back down.

From the best I could tell looking at video of the car earlier in the weekend, the car was not equipped with lateral head pads.

Going back to the original question on chutes and engine braking - On a Top Dragster I helped build, we run the MSD 5 stage controller to control the autoshift on the Lencodrive. I then used a Leahy safety shutoff box to dump the air to the pods and throw the chutes. Instead of hooking it up as a safety shutoff to throw the chutes if the panels let go or when it gets the RF signal, we used the "oh shit" button that comes with the dragster kit to fire the bimba to throw one chute and instead of killing power to the ignition, it kills power to the MSD 5 stage controller, which then dumps the air in the Lencodrive, putting it in low gear and letting it over run the converter sprag.

Most of the converter drives offer a safety sprag as an option but it usually is a weak point for a higher horsepower car.

In my opinion many of the drivers get a false sense of security when they run 1/8 mile on a full 1/4 mile course. Throwing at least one chute may have helped prevent this accident. Something that may need to be looked at in the future.

It's tragic that we lost Ronnie to this accident. Hopefully the PDRA and those who will study what happened will be able to figure out how to make these cars a little safer in the future. RIP to Ronnie. Prayers to his family and friends, and prayers for Ian Tocher, who was injured in the accident as he was shooting photos on the top end.

racer3031 likes this.
  11. pete9857

pete9857 Member

How about mounting a g meter sideways and then program the ecu the parameters that works with your particular racecar. Have let's say , 1 - 2 G's of side force activate the chutes and cut power to engine.

TADHemiracer likes this.
  12. Eric David Bru

Speaking of parachutes, how many T/ADs and BB/FCs are running Stroud's? Are any T/F cars using them?

Thanks
    EDB

13. HootersFunnyCar

I think the first time the G-meter shuts the car off from a little tire shake it will be removed or bypassed by the driver/ owner. I don't think there would be enough lateral G unless the car hit the wall to be useable.

Let's remember these are race cars and they are going to do crazy unexpected things. I believe the focus should be on keeping the driver safe during these situations. The Hans, lateral pads and pour in seat are all excellent additions to the safety of the driver. Seven way harnesses also help to keep the position of the driver where it should be. If these items were mandatory (not sure what the rules require for these cars) it could save a lot of pain and possible lives.

The last thing is the driver should always throw the chute at the end of the pass, even if eight mile racing on a quarter mile track. It helps to stabilize the car during the deceleration event and lets face it they are not that hard to re-pack.

Just a side note, every clutch car will have engine braking until the driver shoves the pedal in (takes time to get engine down far enough to overcome counter weight) or dumps the air from the trans. Not sure how many door cars run a clutch but worth noting.

14. TOL

TOL Active Member

With converters of the like that we are talking about, not locked, is there really much engine braking during throttle lift? I don't know, only asking.......

15. pete9857

pete9857 Member

I think you could taylor make a system for each car. The problem with keeping the driver safe is our bodies aren't designed to be upside down and taking that kind of impact. The key is to prevent the roll- over & crash to begin with.

16. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

This thread really got me thinking on the engine braking comments. I always thought people wanted to limit engine braking by putting the car in neutral at the stripe to save engine parts. Since I never did, I did not consider the effects of the engine braking locking up the rear tires as I never ran into that issue or any engine related issues. What I have run into, as I stated above, was using extra brake pressure due to a no chute situation and the car getting into a hopping situation. In thinking about it, if the rear tires bounce and leave the surface and then come down and have to fight the engine due to being in gear, that would intensify the bouncing. Anyone run into this? It sounds like adding the dump valve may help alleviate or at least minimize this situation? Can anyone confirm this as a reason to use the dump valve for the Lenco air pods? Not sure if dumping pressure on the convertor would help but wonder if anyone is doing that at the finish and what results that produced?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  17. pete9857

pete9857 Member

As far as shifting into neutral, obviously it can't be done on a Lencodrive, relying on the convertor for engine braking. When I switched to turbos, I added 2 calipers to the rear of my dragster. My son says the brakes are really great now.
    I could see where dumping convertor pressure would kind of be like pushing in the clutch ? Like Blownalky, I'd like to know also!

18. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

I have an emergency button in the center of the steering wheel that is wired to a relay that kills the 8973 ignition box AND energizes an air solenoid that deploys the chutes. As mentioned in other comments, I might not want to let go of the steering wheel to deploy a chute and then hunt for the kill switch in case of upset, loss of control or a stuck open throttle. Just my 2 cents.

19. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

I forgot to mention that while the car has a standard foot brake, I also installed a hand brake with a second set of brake calipers on the rear with a second master cylinder activated by a hand lever that is a "pull" handle so that while the chutes are deploying and if I use the hand brake,and if the car starts to hop, the natural action of my arm being moved forward by the hop reduces the amount of brake I am applying this reducing the hop instead of magnifying it like a foot brake would. Another 2 cents worth, so 4 cents total.

20. pete9857

pete9857 Member

If it saves you from crashing, it's priceless! I like the set-up.