Oh Where, Oh Where has my blower gone?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by tonyeben, Aug 1, 2015.

1. tonyeben

tonyeben New Member

Be wary of sending your supercharger via UPS. We had our blower serviced by Kevin Cantrell, and when he was finished, he dropped it off at the UPS center in Phoenix. Since then, no one seems to know what has happened to it. Kevin has been very helpful in trying to locate it, but UPS has been very difficult to deal with, as if they don't care. If anyone has any ideas on how to light a fire under them, or has any contacts with pull within their organization, please let us know.:mad:

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Insure it for a shit ton of money each way and they will bend over backwards to find it..
    they lost a lenco of mine once and was extremely helpful finding it ;)

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Several years ago PSI shipped a blower to me in one of their standard wooden crates. 370 miles door to door. When it arrived the front of the supercharger was sticking out of the busted open crate. It looked like it fell off a dock.

From then on we took our superchargers to the Southwest Airlines Freight Terminal at Ontario Airport and sent them. PSI would send someone to fetch it at PHX and when it was ready they would take it back to PHX and SW would fly it back to Ontario. It cost just about the same as UPS standard freight except you have to run to the airport for it which I gladly did. With SW we never even saw a wooden splinter come loose on the box, let alone abuse/damage. They typically stuck them in the cargo hold of the next available flight, which meant less than 24 hr delivery.

4. 1957alky

1957alky New Member

Thanks for the input, guys. The blower arrived today. The crate is a bit damaged but the blower looks to have survived. I'll give it a good look tonight when I get home. UPS can be rougher than an old goat.:)

5. tranman

tranman Member

We had a 16-71 littlefield.....brand new build....get lost in shipping for 6-8 months....ended up in a "undelivered" warehouse in utah. 2 days before insurance claim was to be paid a rep from ups called and asked what kind of box it was and such....claimed she personally was going to go thru that warehouse and look for it...she did end up finding it...said label fell off it. We got it next day air.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

name

I try to always have my name and phone number on the box somewhere so if the label comes off, there is some sort of contact.

Will

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Just a tip for ground package shipping I learned back in my clutch days. Use FedEx. UPS is a union shop, so call and bitch all you want, nothing happens. We had a driver literally kicking and rolling a box with a $7,000 clutch and another with our massive double walled disc boxes they managed to destroy. Those disc boxes are built like Yeti coolers, my fat ass can sit on one and not collapse it. Both boxes insured, both suffered damage to the contents. Call to claim and complain, especially about the driver kicking $8200 worth of incredibly well packed yet destroyed boxes down the dock. They acted concerned, said they would take action, and asked us to keep the parts in the boxes for up to 3 weeks for a claims investigator. We had the same delivery driver until the day I left with similar service.

That being said, I spoke to our local FedEx rep. I was informed that all FedEx Ground delivery services are handled through independent contractors who live in fear of losing the contract. If you have problems, shit happens. FedEx Ground was also typically 1-2 days faster getting to either coast from Missouri. I'm sure others have horror stories about FedEx too, but shipping equal amounts FedEx and UPS in my last year, I never had one problem with FedEx and on the phone every other week with UPS for damages or packages not delivered as promised. UPS sucks, request FedEx. FedEx is typically cheaper as well unless you need to ship COD.

8. 1957alky

1957alky New Member

Again?

We purchased another blower because of the possible loss of the one that was lost in the Phoenix-Den UPS near disaster. This one shipped UPS (aargh) from southern California over a week ago and is now lost in the UPS system. You think we could learn from experience?

9. KeithDyer

KeithDyer Member

Fastenal

We have had pretty good luck with the Fastenal 3PL service for big or goofy stuff (or not so goofy).

They have a service where you take it to your local Fastenal store and they will send it through their distribution centers and system and the recipient can pick it up at their local store.

Nothing yet beat up or hurt or lost (fingers crossed)!!

Blocks and transmissions strapped to a pallet with motorcycle tiedowns, 4-disc clutch in a crate, mag manifolds and smaller stuff in normal boxes . . . .

You can pay or your receiver can, up to you.

Just like most shippers, no fluids or oil in or on the parts.

Price is pretty competitive and if not, challenge them on it ($125.00 seems to be a common first quote but got the last two cut in half pretty quickly, how deep you chase it is up to you.

You may have to educate your local store to it also, some not know.

Good luck, K

10. MoparMartian

MoparMartian Member

USP Strikes Again...

Just got word back today from UPS.
    They lost my Spec-Rite converter and can't find it. Opened a "Trace" and they said it's lost.
    Here's something interesting. They "Physically" and "Logically" scan packages.
    My UPS account showed that it left the depot that it was shipped from in New Mexico. This was only a Logical scan (in other words it SHOULD have left the depot that day) There was no Physical scan of the package.
    Then it Logically scanned to have arrived in Denver. Yeah Right. Then it Logically was being delivered. You get the idea, the Logical scan is when it "Should have been delivered". No Physical scan was ever done and nobody knows where the package is.

I never received any "Physical Box" with my converter so what am I supposed to do run a "logical imaginary converter?"

11. T/D racer

T/D racer New Member

Shipping nightmares

I opened an account with FedEx, to ship my stuff, i also insure it for a lot of $
    if you print your shipping tag on line (and not at the FedEx store) you get a 16% discount on the rate.
    I also always tape one of my laminated business cards on 2 sides of the package, it seems FedEx does a better job then the others.
    Also watch out for the porch package thieves!!!!!!!!take care everyone.
    Denny Guinta