NRE Blower/Head flow "Bench"

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Will Hanna, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

NRE not only flows the blower, but uses the spintron to flow the entire package at specific valve lifts.

We will run a full feature on this later in the month.

Click image for larger version...

Blower spintron.jpg

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I want my blower black! Just paint?

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This is my post number 2000.

Will, I am a little confused here because a SpinTron machine is designed to record and map the dynamics of the valve train such as spring harmonics, valve bounce or pushrod flexing and does not have any provisions for doing head or supercharger flowing. Now it maybe possible that somebody had a flow measuring device attached to the motor at the same time but it was not made by SpinTron.

http://www.spintron.com/

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

drive

I was under the impression they were using the spintron to drive the blower to blow through at 'x' valve lift. Maybe it's not the spintron itself, but the same drive.

Sorry if my post was misleading. Plan on doing a feature soon.

5. aj481x

aj481x Member

Waiting for it. :)

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I take it that the electric motor and speed controls, normally used to do the normal Spintron valvetrain analysis, are being used to spin the blower at different speeds/boost. And they are doing cylinder head port work much like you would on a Superflow air flow bench except at XX boost psi vs using the standard 28".

That's my assumption.

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

It is a SpinTron machine, just not being used quite in the same fashion. You can read SpinTron on the case. Pretty nice setup! Hopefully the screw doesn't scream like the fuel blowers. If you're within 2 blocks, you know that thing is running.

8. aj481x

aj481x Member

Still has the "shop vac" on the exhaust. Interesting

9. TOL

TOL Active Member

Looks like fun! How do they lube the screw I wonder?

10. JP

JP Member

Maybe Will can verify this but from my perspective they are using the spintron to only drive the blower thru the crankshaft, there is no cam on this engine , that is why there is only a valve opening fixture on the intake and not rocker arms.

In fact this is a big time flow bench in which you can teorically test each cylinder for same flow or diference in flow in a completed engine!

You can place "flow sensors" before and after the blower to record changes ...

Great idea if I understand it correctly

but hell what do I know???

11. ansleev

ansleev Member

spintron

we tried spinning a psi screw on our 100 hp spintron at 115 over and it did not have enough power to pull it at higher rpms either they are not spinning the blower very fast or or?????????

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The understanding that I have John Force Racing had to use a very large diesel engine to drive the crankshaft through a gearbox to spin a complete motor with a supercharger to flow the actual supercharger. I believe they made the first on engine supercharger flow bench. JFR was spinning a Rootes blower which is a lot harder than spinning a PSI screw blower.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  13. aj481x

aj481x Member

14. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I don't beleive there are more parts spinning than the crank, pulleys and supercharger. I would geuss they have the bottom of that cylinder plugged, but not rods or pistons in it, probably just bobweights for the balance. The hose appears to be "stuck" into the side of the cylinder, not the exhaust port, which tells me its setup to test the intake port during this picture.

15. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Would they need to overdrive it much at all? They are only flowing one intake port perhaps at 65 psi. Maybe there's a boost pop off valve somewhere on that setup

16. JP

JP Member

i understand it takes 750hp to get the blower at 50pds on a complete engine but i believe if you are flowing only one port at 45 pds them a 100hp is enought however the real advantage of this system is that you really know how much air each cylinder gets with the blower=manifold and head combo...

17. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I would hope it doesn't take that much hp to get a screw to 50 lbs or somebody is doing something wrong. We have a screw air compressor that is 3 times the size of the PSI that runs half or more of our 100,000 sq. ft building at a consistent 109-110PSI with a 150 hp motor on it.

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

A PSI screw blower on a TAFC takes right around 125-150 hp to run it.

19. Patrick Hale

Patrick Hale Member

I reduced all the data from the original PSI blower dyno testing in 1987. This was for the lower flow 200-A rotors. I just pulled out all the old blower maps. At 9500 blower RPM it took between 216 HP and 276 HP depending on the manifold pressure (max of 30 psig at 9500 RPM). The highest RPM we tested the PSI at was 12,603 RPM and that took 328 HP.

For a modern TAFC at 10,000 RPM at 92% over that puts the PSI rotors at 19,200 RPM. At this blower RPM it takes almost 500 HP to spin the PSI (45+ psig manifold pressure). But this is much less HP than any Roots (standard or high helix).

Mike - what is the basis for your low HP numbers for the PSI?

Patrick Hale
    www.DragRacingPro.com

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It came from Norm Drazy a few years ago in an article he wrote.