New Member - Comments on TAFC/TAD car counts

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by TJTurner, Jul 10, 2003.

1. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

First off, I am a new member and I think this is a great site. Also, I am a fan, not a competitor, so everything I say is from that perspective. My brother and I have always dreamed of owning a TAFC or TAD and possibly we may do it someday, but for now, we bracket race. My brother has helped Marty Thacker a couple of times this year and it has gotten him all pumped up about TA racing.

I absolutely love alcohol racing. I grew up going to US 131 Dragway in the 70's and attended many Pro-AM III F/C races plus UDRA, Divisionals, etc. The match-race style FC's (alky and nitro) were "king" (remember Haywood & Near, Hagen & O'Hara, Larry Adleman's beautiful red vega, Sebring Bros., Fred Mandoline's Wheeler Dealer, etc). I love the low-buck guys and appreciate a low-buck guys slower run as much as I appreciate Frank Manzo going 5.5's.

I think the reason that TAFC counts are down is because there are very few match race circuits running on a consistant basis, especially here in the south (Georgia) where I now live. The divisionals do not pay enough to keep a team going, and to be competitive, you have to spend a ton. For new blood to come into TA racing, there needs to be this "secondary market" or match racing scene that runs at smaller or mid level tracks, which will then be a proving ground for the guys to move up to the national events.

The turn-out for TAFC in Div 2 is pathetic - even a hardcore TAFC fan like myself has a hard time forking over $20 to go to a divisional when only 4 FC's and 5 TAD's show up. Somebody with some influence needs to take the lead and work with IHRA/NHRA in the south or we are in trouble.

There has to be a way to revive the match-race scene and encourage participation. Some of the smaller tracks will book in 4 TAFC's a couple of times per year but that is about it. Also, there are some southern teams that only run IHRA, but quite a few of the IHRA racers are from the east coast or midwest.

Where do we start? What would it take to get something started down here? It might take the TA guys working with the pro mod guys to put on a joint show at some of the larger tracks. A couple of weeks ago Atlanta Dragway had a huge crowd for 9 pro mods, 2 jets, 1 wheelstander, and a fireworks show. As an NHRA owned track, they should have had an alky show. With 6 - 8 evenly matched cars that did great burnouts it would have been a success. The cars would not have to run 5.6's to be fun to watch. A side-by-side 6.0 run with great burn-outs (and maybe a dry hop??????) would be great. On the smaller 1/8 mile tracks, a 4.0 - 4.3 second run would be fine as long as the show kept moving and the burnouts were good. Also, the crew and driver needs to be engaged with the fans - this is not always possible, but maybe we need to slow the cars down a tad so the maintenance isn't as much, then the crew can talk to the fans and get them to become attached to a certain team.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but down here in the south, this needs to be addressed or we are in trouble. I would love to be involved in something like this, even if I am just helping with a web-site or calling tracks trying to get bookings.

Thanks for a great site and good luck at the races.

2. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

TJ,

My brothers and I have the same desire. We will some day be out in the Alcohol Ranks if they still exist.

First eliminate the AFuel cars. Second increase the over drive limit on the psi and if possible some how make helix cars competitive. Third have mandantory rev. limits at some certain RPM limit. Fourth and the most important treat the Alcohol Guys with respect. NHRA basically has shit on them for many years. Where did Darrell Russell, Tommy Johnson, Tim Wilkerson, Alan Johnson, Joe Amato, Gary Scelzi, etc. come from.

The f-in alcohol ranks. Wake up smell the coffee and not the shit

3. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Maybe for Match Racing we need a rule that everbody has a cool name and paint job. When we are match racing, it is the show that counts. Long burn-outs, chutes and maybe a staging duel or two. A travling tower voice that can excite the fans would help, telling storys about the racer and team. Kinda like WWF did before they went to far.
    I tell ya, 2 book-in shows would go a long way helping get to points races.

Not a sermon just an idea.
    Thanks
    Bob Lupini

4. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Classic! You will fit right in TAD!
    KB

5. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Bob, I agree with you- the show is more important at all non-national event races. On another post, people are discussing the merits of Pro Mods vs TAFC's and the reason the Pro-Mods give a better show is normally because there are 10 to 12 at a race whereas the TAFC show only has 4 cars. The runs made by the TAFC's are just as exciting, if not more, but with only 4 cars it is over pretty quick when compared to the P/M's. So the fan comes away from the P/M show thinking they got a better deal.

As far as the paint jobs and names, it's important that the cars have at least a clean paint job (ie, the old candy apple red with gold lettering '76 Vega TAFC of Larry Adleman) I remember going to a points meet a few years ago and seeing Bogie Kell's "Southern Thunder", complete with the stars and bars on the hood. I bought 2 t-shirts from him that day and my son rooted for him for years.

I've been trying to list in my mind all of the Southeastern TAFC teams and I cannot think of very many - can anyone help me list them?

Monty Todd, John Sullivan, Brian Greer, Von Smith (not really running much this year), Mark Billington, Greg Beckner, Ron Midyette (may be Div 1), Bob Martindale, William Fulford. Anyone else running at least occasionally? Of these, only Mark Billington is consistantly running divisional and national meets with NHRA - pretty sad.

6. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

OK TJ, I love your insight.I've been preaching the same thing for years.I've been in a funny car since 1987. Never missed a year that I didn't run at least one show.In that 16 years, I've run4 of my own and driven for 2 others. Every car has said Shooting Star on the side and most didn't even have my name on them. When I started, I ran for Nick Boninfante's East Coast Fuel Funny Car Promotions. Every track booked 8...EIGHT,,, cars. I got $1000 for 2 runs and $200 for a final round appearance. 16 years later, I'm going almost a full second quicker, 35 mph faster, I'm pulling in with a 40' tri axle and crewcab that cost twice what my complete operation cost in '87.and I'm getting $1000 for 2 runs .ocaisionally $800 just to get a date at a track.I go to IHRA National Events and have to make 1 shot qualifying cause it's just too dam expensive. Remember, this is one of the last businesses where a product,(us), pays a promoter,(IHRA/NHRA) to let them put on an exhibition that the promoter can charge people to see.When was the last time you heard a Bass paid a fisherman to catch him so he could win a fishing tourniment In the last year we lost Gerry Thalacker, Bobby Baucom,and Mike Preslar just in my local area. These are lifetime racers guys. What's wrong with this picture? In my career I've raced at over 50 tracks in 20 odd states and Canada but the light is truly flickering out.When I first started racing, Top Fuel was still running divisionals.Things change I guess.Now back to your insight, If you really want to make a difference, Don't just write about your thoughts here. Write to the tracks. Write to every single one of them. Write them once a week. Get everyone you know to write them.But you better hurry 'cause the numbers of real matchracers...the ones who will drive out of the yard at 10 PM on Friday to get to a date Saturday afternoon, race that night and tow to the next venue for Sunday,and then drive all night to get back to work on Monday,,,we're almost extinct!

7. Bob Alberty Jr.

I can remember the barnstorming days,work a 9-5 friday,drive all night,run a saturday night match race,load up,drive a few hundred miles,run a sunday afternoon match race,load up,haul you know what home,and everybody made it to work on time monday morning.That's the way I learned to drag race,and truth be known we still do it,but now it's divisionals and nationals.
    We got our first funnycar in 79,and we too have made at least one event every year,seen alot of people come and go,but most leave due to the money that is involved.when we started we had a iron block and headed 392 chrysler,ran low 7's,never saw the clutch all weekend,and had a heck of a good time.Oh and we ran as hard as we could EVERY pass.
    The cars are more advanced,the cost has gone up,and the match race money stayed the same,if you could get one.And then you had guys that couldnt make their laps,after they did get em.
    Not all,but alot of the new crop of alky funny guys wont take their eqipment to some of ( most of) the holes we've run,and those are the tracks that we used to target.
    We are still puttin the car together,it may be advertised for sale,but if a buyer doesnt come up,we will be out by the end of the year,just lack a injector and pulleys.But thats cash thats hard to come buy.
    Best of all,I still believe!
    Oh well,guess i've rambled long enough,Later
    Bob Alberty Jr.

8. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

GOD T-JENNA, I just love your moving forward thoughts of "eliminate A-fuel". No sense in progress, let's all stay in our own little tunnel-vision worlds and just keep on doing the same old thing. I must also say, I have nothing at all against the alcohol cars, as I worked for Norm Drazy for roughly 8 yrs. I just have a hard time seeing someone be so close-minded. Right now the A-fuel cars are having their day, what I don't understand is the blindness (by so many) to when the blown-alcohol cars had all the advantage in the world over the fuel cars. Believe me, I saw it FIRST-HAND, as I am on a team that has run both. I will also be the first to say, that if Norm's hands weren't tied by the powers that be, he could, and would develop a product that could, and would not only compete with the fuelers, but probably have an advantage. Now, that being said, I also agree that the fuel cars have a rather large and somewhat untapped amount of potential. Why must so many people insist that they be penalized for taking advantage of something that is so exciting and interesting. It isn't a whole lot different than knowing the lotto #'s before the drawing, and which of us wouldn't take advantage of that?!!!! I do feel for the blown-alcohol racers,because if conditions are good, they really don't have a fair shot unless the fuel cars stumble. But I also don't think that we should be penalized for that either. I hope I didn't piss anyone off, but that is how I see things to be RIGHT NOW. It's drag racing, it'll change, just be patient.

9. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Bill,

Call me sometime as I would love to get your ideas on how to put something together. We could also talk about the "good ole days". My phone number is in my member info. Do you still have your car? How many match race dates will you run this year and where? Is the $1,000 per show an average fee these days?

One thing that Bob said is something that will have to be dealt with. Some people will not run at tracks that are not national/divisional tracks and thats where the match race series as a "minor league" (don't take that comment the wrong way) or developmental series is key. The guys that run will not have to run 5.6 - 5.7's to be competitive. The "show" will be more important vs running a national event tune-up. If a particular track is good for 6.2's, then run 6.2's and put on a show and sell some t-shirts.

Thanks.

10. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Bob Alberty the First time I ever saw alky floppers was in 1986 here in Albuq. Yourself, Grady Bryant,Porter Donn, Ray Motes, Stan Smith made the match race tour. Of course our tracks junk so I don't think anyone ran a 6. But it was fun!

11. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

TJ, there are plenty of Low dollar FC racers out there that you could fill a show with. Just 3-4 years ago, they would book alky shows here in Albuq. and I'd see racers I'd never heard of!

12. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Has anybody heard anything for TARA? I was also had contact from a group that wanted to put some match races togather by the name of W-A-R. The stuff they had looked pretty good. We meet with them at VMP(The Spring Open Rain Fest). Nothing after that?
    Thanks
    Bob

13. TJTurner

TJTurner New Member

Bob,
    Was TARA's purpose to work with NHRA to strengthen the TA classes? If yes, They should work with NHRA to develop and/or encourage their member tracks to support match race associations. Ultimately, NHRA's numbers at national events will go up if there is a strong developmental program. All of the stick and ball sports support developmental (ie, minor leagues) programs because they know that in the long run they benefit the sport.

Also, a strong match race series will help the tracks to make money by increasing spectator counts.

WAR has a web site but it hasn't been updated in months so it doesn't look like they have any dates set. The midwest has a series called the American FC Series - they have 7 or so dates in the IL/MI/OH area (some pretty good tracks). Go to www.udra.org as they have a phone number to call for more informaion.

14. David Smith

David Smith Member

When a Track holds a specialty show such as having Alky, Pro Mods, Nitro cars, Jets or other types of exhibition Vechicles do they have to purchase added insurance for the event? I have been notcing over the past few years lots of tracks are cutting down or cutting out completely there specialty shows and the shows the tracks still have the amount of cars they have for the event are getting less and less as well.

15. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

OK David,years ago, when a track like E Town was promoting a show like K-Marts Funny Car show, they would buy rain insurance to recoup the advertising and "rain money". Most of the smaller tracks wouldn't have that much invested so they didn't. I would imagine the overhead for Vinny to book 8 AA/FC. 8 BB/FC, 2 wheel standers and 2 jets would be equal to the over head at a small track for an entire season. Today the small tracks can and do fill the place on Street night races. They don't need to risk the big overhead to meet expences.The big catch there is when they want to add a funny car show they only want to risk the price of 2 or 4 car shows. Now don't get me wrong, a 2 car , 2out of 3 match race can be a great show.I do half a dozen a year myself. However, It doesn't matter if both cars do 1/4 mile burnouts and then run side by side 5.90 passes if one of them can't come back due to breakage, the spectator feels robbed.With the 8 car show they may not remember the car that didn't come back for second round.Now, you're a spectator. You tell me. Would you come back the next time to a 2 car show you paid $15 to see and didn't; or a 8 car show you paid $25 to see that only 6 cars showed for the second round.( for you unfamiliar.. thats 8 first round..4 round winners and 2 quick losers..).Oh, and by the way, for all you spectators that feel "robbed";.. most of the time, the promoter cuts the pay out at his discresion,for "poor performance". Have they ever refunded any of your money? In fairness, sometimes it is warranted and in 13 years only once to me personally.But they are machines and shit happens.And on the other side, I don't know anyone that got more than their fee if the gate was better than expected. Sorry, I'm getting cranky.The bottom line is they are not going to risk money on a show unless the risk is very low. You reduce the risk if they believe everyone will come out for it. WRITE< CALL EMAIL.let them know you want alcohol shows. You have the power to fix this! HEY WILL H. how about a chat session with some track owners????lets all get together on a chat night and hear their side!! How about it? Is anyone interested? Maybe one large facility manager and one small Mom and Pop track owner? Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this.You decide and let me know!!

16. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

I just realized something. I haven't run an NHRA divisional in 4 years. In that time I've run close to50 dates and I knew what they paid before I left the house. NHRA uses full page adds for Divisionals and Nowhere, on any one of them ,in atleast 10 years ,have you seen the pay out! Are they actually embarrassed and we didn't notice it or are they hoping nobody will ask? HEY SPECTATORS...guess what it pays to run a 250 mph AFC, 5 passes over 2 days!!GUESS WHAT IT COSTS!! ( and you want what for a matchrace?) :(

17. David Smith

David Smith Member

Bill thanks for the reply. If theres anything I can do as a spectater and a friend let me know. I have emialed the tracks and so forth and get the thanks for your interests routine. I do my best to make it to all the national, divisional, and thrill shows(match races) I can throughout the year to support not only the sport I love but to support the friends I have made over the past couple of years through the various message board sites.

18. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Off to Woodburn. Good weather in Oregon.