Need Help with six shooter

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by B rock, Nov 14, 2015.

1. B rock

B rock New Member

Currently we have a pro mag 44 and an 8168 retard box with a six shooter and an emi 8 channel timer. The problem is the motor is not retarding the timing at all. I have checked the retard box and its working fine. I have checked the emi box and it is sending signals at the right delay times. I have tried 2 six shooters now and still it does not work. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Cdn526

Cdn526 Member

Well, could be a number of things, but before you start swappin out all the components, you better recheck the wiring & wiring harnesses, including the grounds, as more often than not it will be the source of your problems.
    You say the EM is sending out the signals, but have you checked that a both the output of the EM & the input right at the retard box (valid only if you have a harness in between)?
    Ensure you have a common ground lug for all components.
    Assuming the motor starts & shows the timing of the first retard chip in the six-shooter, then your basic wiring is right, and you'll have to look into the triggering of the EM.
    How are you verifying that the six-shooter is not working? Timing light? or Racepak readout?
    I have 3 cars that all have 44's , six-shooters & EM timers, and if there ever is a problem, it's almost always the wiring.
    Clif

3. B rock

B rock New Member

Correct when I put a chip in channel 1 the idle channel it does change the timing. When the trans brake is pushed and released the timing goes back to normal. I am using a timing light to double check everything. We are using pretty big chips so also you can hear the change in the motor. this setup all worked in the beginning as well it was checked with a timing light. If I unplug the em box from the six shooter and use a test light in the channels they are getting power at the delayed times. I'm still at a loss here