MSD PRO MAG issues

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ProMod83, Jun 22, 2013.

1. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

Hoping you guys can help me out. We have a new combo twin turbo BAE hemi BS3 ecu pro mag 44 points box w rev limiter and power grid. I got the car to run with BS3 triggering the mag only however I took a dozen or so attempts with zero changes to the car or configuration. I let it get warm shut it off and tried to refire no luck. I tried a few times then finally it fired back up, turn it off and plugged mag into its own trigger no luck.
    I rigged up a switch and fired mag off of bs3 got it running then switched it over to mag pick up I set physical mag timing shut the car off removed switch and wires and can not get it started since. I changed the grid, coil and points box and nothing. Engine turns 200 rpm and 275 with no plugs won't fire timing light on wire or on coil wire. Heads are ground to each other, coil, chassis and battery. I tried with power grid out of the equation and chip in points box and nothing. I get timing light to flash once every 10 attempts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Billy Thompson.

2. blown375

blown375 New Member

I had intermittent start problems for a short time and it turned out to be bad stator windings in the mag .

3. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

Its all brand new stuff but im sure anything is possible. Thanks for the input.

4. overkill69

overkill69 Member

mag

If it struggles to fire off the mags internal trigger it rules out almost everything. If it won't fire through the coil wire I think it's time to send the mag in.

5. sune

sune Member

If you are only getting 200 - 275 rpms on the starter. You are right at the very low limit for a pro mag to fire. They need at least 250 rpm according to MSD, I use a blower mounted starter with 48 votls on mine. I run a powergrid too. and it always fires.

6. Trickie67

Trickie67 Member

I had the same problem and find that it was not cranking fast enough so I hook up 12V and 6V to make a 18V and it works so got me a 16V battery and works fine because it wasn't not producing enough spark with 12V due to slower cranking speed

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You stated that the motor only turns 200 rpm and I assume that is with the plugs in and 275 rpm with the plugs out. As has already been said there is just no way it is going to start at 200 rpm and again as already said the 275 without plugs is at the minimum. Just hook up two 12 volt batteries in series and give it a spin. I bet it will fire right up.

8. gottuna

gottuna New Member

series

mike can you explain the series, or how to hook them that way....

9. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

Spoke to MSD they say you need 180 rpm minimum and also stated I should see spark at 275rpm with no plugs. Funny thing is I have had 4 cars with exact same set up and those would only turn 175ish and never had an issue. Car has run as I said just won't fire every time. I crank turn off re charge and re try. I'm logging cranking rpm and have logs of start ups with less rpm repeatedly I think mag trigger has wires reversed or mag is bad or has a short.

10. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

It has yet to start on mag trigger only bs3 trigger at first I thought phase was way off so I rigged up a switch started off of bs3 then switched to mag I was shooting for 25deg that's where I dropped it in went to 10 so I turned mag to get 25 and shut it off removed switch and hasn't run on bs3 or mag trigger since. Almost makes me think its phase but how can I set timing to 25 on mag trigger yet be out of phase?

11. altered1

altered1 Member

MSD web site says 250 juss sayin tried to find it I was reading somewhere the that the 44 need 250 min cranking rpm to fire the mag. do like mike says and see if it does great if it don't send the mag in to be looked at.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013