MSD Mag 44 small cap question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by rickey, May 22, 2011.

1. rickey

rickey Member

what is max timing retard for the small cap before I will run into trouble?

thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That depends if your plug wires and plugs are all in good condition and are equal. Theoretically you have 45* between each post so if you split that you have 22.5 either side but that is alot on the crankshaft because it is two to one between the cranksahft an the rotor. Normally you will not get into trouble with a small cap unless you are running nitro and moving the timing a lot then you need the big cap for sure. I think you are real safe moving the timing back and forth within 10* with a small cap and more that that I would feel safer with a big cap. It is hard to define that point because if you are at 10* retard and a plug fouls and the spark can't jump it or you have burned off the ground strap then the spark is going to go somewhere and it is going tho be the path of least resistance which maybe the next inline or the previous cap post.

3. rickey

rickey Member

thanks Mike
    I watched the video on msd pro mag, they use 0-26 or +-13 degrees in the video