Moving motor forward TAFC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by max, Jul 10, 2017.

1. max

max Member

On a Top Alcohol FC how are guys moving the motor forward. Are they using a spacer between the engine plate and the chassis mounts.

Any info would be great. Photos would be perfect.

Thanks.

2. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

A lot to be considered, where is it now, rear axle centerline to back of block, and how far forward do you want to go ? Why ?
    Too many strange thoughts, i.e. "I'm going to move it an inch forward to pick up 100 lbs. on the front to stop wheelstands"...........fact is about 6-8 lbs. Math is easier with 4 scales ! Shove it ahead and get a number!

3. max

max Member

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Motor is 65 out. Scaled the car yesterday. 53% on rear. Have 40lb weight bar on front. Looking for ideas on how to move motor forward. Will scale it with motor forward if I work out that it can be moved.

So if you move it an inch are you saying it will only put 6-8lbs on the front? I'm happy to scale again with motor forward but don't want to go to the trouble if I can't find some ideas first on how to move it.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Is there any weight that can be removed or repositioned to the front on the rear of the car? If you are trying to get rid of nose weight, it's a 2 for one special. If you get a pound off the rear, you should be able to take a pound out of the nose.

Back to the original question. Most people use spacers, but that is assuming your top rail is parallel with the crankshaft/driveshaft line. If it is not parallel, you will create line up issues without making new saddles if you just slide it forward. 1" is what I have always been told is about the max to move it away from the upright.

You will also be moving the center of gravity, so it will make other changes to how the chassis acts besides just moving the corner weights.

5. max

max Member

Thanks Will.
    There is no other weight that can be moved forward apart from making the head shield a carbon one. Trying to get weight forward on car and potentially remove some ballast as car is overweight. Car also likes to carry front wheels. On the car's you have worked on, what is the rear to front %?

Top rail is parallel so all fine there. Was originally thinking 1/2" to 3/4" move but will probably just scale it again to see what difference this will make.

Thanks for your help.

6. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Another thing to consider, due to engine angle down, going forward also decreases ground clearance. There's an old saying: the definition of a wheelstand or light front end simply means the back wheels aren't going fast enough! There are a ton of 65" cars out there!

7. max

max Member

There's an old saying: the definition of a wheelstand or light front end simply means the back wheels aren't going fast enough!

Thanks Bob. Wheel speed has been an issue.

Thanks for all the help.

8. bmoore

bmoore Member

Header exit angle can help as well. Is it carrying the front end past the 100' mark ?

Bill Moore