moisture on windshield

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by caseyspradlin, Aug 11, 2014.

1. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

so feel a little dump asking so take it easy on me, but just started driving blown top sportsman and getting moisture on windshield going down track. it is this condensation off the hat? I pressurized system and sprayed nozzles and didn't find any leaks?

thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So does this happen on every run, day and night, hot or cool?

3. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

new combo

mike, so far only ran in the day. only a few runs under my belt but so far each time.

thanks

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I've seen aeriated nozzle bodies spray fuel.

5. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

nozzles

they are aerated, aren't these necessary for hats nozzles?

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Although they are certainly the norm, they are not necessary.

I have run large enough nozzle jets in them before that I got more fuel spray then I was comfortable with so I went to non-aerated.

Could you be getting the sweat off the hat?

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I know it happens but it is not the norm to get fuel spray out of an aerated nozzle. So the question is why on some cars and not on others. Is it all the hat nozzles or just one. It has to be messing up the fuel tuneup if the methanol is going on the windshield and not into the motor. You might want to check and see if your nozzles are long enough in the hat that they are in the airstream and not too short that it is just spraying down the side. They make special long hat nozzles. The other is do you have a nozzle that has turned? Do you have one that is defective. You might want to find somebody with a GoPro camera and video the hat during a run. I have had cars run in severe icing conditions where ice is all over the hat and never had it melt off during a run. After the run it melts.

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Mike...Have you ever monitored injector hat vacuum/pressure to see what it is at speed? Have you ever tested various diverters inside a hat to see what effect they have on atmospheric pressures in different areas of the hat and around the top of the supercharger above the rotors?

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Randy, I haven't but I have a close friend that instrumentated the hat and monitored during runs and I understand what you are saying. I have never had the nozzles blow back on me. Guess I am lucky. What I am saying to Casey is if it is one blowing back or all of them. Could be a defective nozzle if one. If all then needs to try different nozzles because that is going to upset the tuneup. I have run a blower with non aerated nozzles with no problems.

10. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

Camera

Good advise. I will put camera on it. Thanks

Is the suction cup mounting on roof good for 200 mph?

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We have had them stay on at 240+ but no guarantee. Can you mount it inside and have it shooting forward thru the windshield? Maybe do one side at a time.

12. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

I had some aerated nozzles that had a small jet inside them, boy did they blow fuel on the windshield. What were these made for?

13. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Alcohol will leave a white residue almost salt water looking stain on your windshield when it dries while condensation will evaporate with little or no staining.

14. 65dodge

65dodge Member

Aerated nozzles will spray some fuel when you step off the throttle.

15. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

j

if it was the nozzles would this show up during my pressure check? I put 100#s on open k vavle and sprayed nozzles with soapy water.

16. BrianD

BrianD Member

Back in the day Waterman as well as a couple of other guys made a device called a "windshield saver" that went around Aerated nozzles that had small tubes that would direct the full spray down and away from the windshield when you let off the throttle.

17. BrianD

BrianD Member

In thinking about it, could the fuel leaking from the aerated hat nozzles on shut down be caused from air blowing by them and causing a syphon?

We see them dripping fuel all the time in the pits with sprint car and midget down nozzles. My thought is that the air blowing buy them at 200mph could easily syphon the remaining fuel from the lines if conditions are right. This could be why it's only seen on some cars as the aerodynamic characteristics are different from car to car. Could a small wicker/air deflector ahead of the nozzles prevent this?

18. sune

sune Member

I have had this problem once due to an injector hose that had a small crack in the brass fitting. it would only spray fuel under load and power but not at idle or bliping the throttle on the stands.

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

If they are stainless lines, back the nut off and check for a crack at the bottom of the flare. Many times you need to push around on the flare with your fingers to get the crack to become visible.

20. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

Update

Back out this weekend and no moisture while under acceleration but once in shutdown area and after motor dies it will spray a large amount on windshield. It's alcohol as it is leaving residue and it is coming from nozzles as this is apparent when inspecting after run. So conclusion is it has to be the vented nozzles. Will change these out and give it another try.

Thanks all for suggestions.