Marty Thacker - U.S. Nationals Wrap-up

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by RiverQueen, Sep 6, 2007.

1. RiverQueen

RiverQueen Moderator

Thacker Wins the U.S. Nationals

[​IMG]

Marty Thacker and the Rapid Transit Racing Team walked into Indianapolis last week with the same dream as everyone else, to win at the “Big Go”. And when all the smoke had cleared on Monday, Thacker and his Knoll Gas – Torco Racing Fuels sponsored blown alcohol dragster were celebrating in the O’Reilly Raceway Park Winner’s Circle for the second time this season.

“This Knoll Gas - Torco Racing Fuels dragster was running really well this week. The tune-up that we began developing back in Brainerd has continued to progress a little each event. This weekend it all started to work together and man is this thing fun to drive when she gets the wheels up in the air. That Spitzer chassis was planting those big ole Hoosiers hard all weekend,” said Thacker.

Thacker was the quickest blown car in the sixteen car field, qualifying #7 at 5.33 at 267 MPH. In the first round he left first and earned a hole shot victory over his competitor when he ran a 5.36 at 267 MPH. Next round, the car ran another 5.36 at 267 MPH to earn the win light and lane choice in the semi-final match-up. In the semi-final the car got out of the groove and close to the centerline before the blower belt came off near the finish line. Luckily, it was still enough to hold off his competitor and get into the final. In the final round, a match-up of two Evan Knoll sponsored cars, Thacker left first and never looked back when he ran a 5.39 at 265 MPH to earn the win over Dave Hirata.

“All we hear is that winning the U.S. Nationals means more than winning any other event. Some even claim it's bigger than winning a championship. There's no denying that it's the single biggest paying race in the drag racing world. But none of those are the reason that my heart was about to burst with happiness on Monday. Racing, at least to me, has always been about the people. This Labor Day weekend I was so lucky to have most of my family and friends around me at least some point during the event. My kids, Paige and Mitch, my dad, step mom, and sister all made it out to the track. And I know my mom, who we lost 4 years ago while we racing at this event, was watching over me. My extended family of our sister TAD, lead by Brian Pfeifer and teammate TAFC team of the Snyder family were also there to share in the excitement of the weekend. I know our friends Evan Knoll and Latrell Preston, who were on the property and all the behind the scenes folks at Torco Racing Fuel were pulling for us. And let's not forget the fans, which were nothing short of great this weekend. That's what makes this sport so special, not the cars, but the people.”

Coverage of the race will be televised on Sunday, September 9th from 12 PM – 1 PM ET on ESPN2.

Quick Facts

• Thacker has been to 6 final rounds this season and earned three wins. He is currently sitting in 4th place in the National points standings.
    • Thacker currently sits in second place in the Divisional points standings.
    • The Team went to three final rounds last year and earned one win at the prestigious Jeg’s All-Star event in Joliet, Illinois. This year, Thacker went to the final round of the Jeg’s event, but missed out on a second straight victory by just inches. He currently leads the Division 3 points chase to represent Division 3 in the race in 2008.
    • The Team set a personal best ET of 5.26 at the TORCO Racing Fuels National event in Richmond, Virginia the end of last season.
    • The 2005 Division 3 Champions finished 3rd in the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series points standings and finished in 16th place nationally in 2006.
    • The Team, based out of Robinson, Illinois, has won 5 UDRA National Championships and 2 NHRA Divisional championships.

Please visit the official team website www.rapidtransitracing.com.

You can access the full line of innovative products offered by our major sponsor TORCO Racing Fuels including racing gasoline, additives, and Skull Gear at www.torcoracefuels.com.

Visit the websites of our current associate and product sponsors at the following websites:

Hoosier Racing Tire – www.hoosiertire.com

Lucas Oil – www.lucasoil.com

Fatheadz – www.fatheadz.com

Submitted by: Shanna Snyder-Bell

Contact Person: Marty Thacker
    Contact email address: mlthacker@marathonpetroleum.com

2. bj2racing

bj2racing New Member

us nats win!

way to go marty and team glad to se it you really work hard and are a great teamate congrats ! bob

3. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Congrats Marty & Team!!!!

It was awesome to be there with you all, see you all soon!!!!!

Take care,
    Nancy

4. konrodz

konrodz Member

whats the name of the restaurant steak joint that sponsors Marty, iam down here in az and would like to go try there food.