Manifold Temperature

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I'm looking to put a temperature sensor in the manifold on our TAFC, wondered what everyone's thoughts were on where (back, front, etc?) to put it, how important it is as a tuning tool, and also what a decent temperature should look like when everything is running right.

Thanks!

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have one in the front and one it the back. They read around ten degrees different. I have forgotten which one is higher but I believe it is the one in the front but I will check the exact difference and which one is hotter tomorrow. Check your email.

3. funnycarguy 230

By Knowing The Manifold Temp What Tuning Valve Will That Give You? Is There Any Way To Cool The Incoming Air? Thanks

4. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Boost Vs Heat

Typically People Will Always Relate To Boost And Not Manifold Temperature. The Manifold Temprature Is Critical To Making Max Horsepower. The Cooler The Air The More Dense It Is And The More Power You Can Make. Typically There Is No Way Legally To Cool The Incoming Charge Other Than Using The Fuel Thru The Injector. Lots Of People Have Found If They Don't Have A Oppertunity To Rev The Motor High They Will Typically Spin The Blower Very Fast. A Few Customers We Have Figured Out Going From 53 Percent To 44 Percent On The Blower Cooled The Air And Made More Power With There Bae Motors.

5. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

Cantrell Racing Product has updated screw blower that cool the charge up to 30 dergee. We can updated any type of blower. Kevin 602-918-4945

6. funnycarguy 230

Charge Cooling

How Do You Cool The Air Charge Is That Something You Can Share Just Curious How Well Does It Work On A Roots Hi-helix Thanks

7. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

Something I've always wanted to try. Back in the day when Indy cars ran turbos, they used to stick a small nozzle between the turbo and injector to cool the charge. What I would like to try is to stick 2 small nozzles right under the blower. I don't think it would take much, maybe .010". What's everybody's thought? I was going to try this on a roots car, but never got the chance.

8. TOL

TOL Active Member

Some of the turbo Offy guys ran a fuel nozzle just after the compressor outlet, becasue the air at that location was hot & dry (no fuel through the turbo). By contrast, a supercharger already has an appreciable wet volume of fuel flowing through it, so I don't think a couple more nozzles at the discharge would have a benefit.

9. eli

eli Banned

With such a small nozzel i would think the blower pressure would shut off any flow from that nozzel;)

10. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

What is the normal range of temperature under the blower of top alcohol engine
    Claude

11. funnycarguy 230

I Would Also Like To Know And How You Could Use This Info As A Tuning Benifit Thanks

12. funnycarguy 230

Anybody? How About Mike C Thanks

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry to say but that would be giving out too much info. The cooler the better.

14. ALKY4sure

ALKY4sure New Member

This one is very subjective. Suffice to say you want to build a data base. Make alot of runs, find the trend of temps when you run really fast and when it's a weak dog. Then you'll start to see a trend and a range of temps to emulate, if you can.;) ;)

Gerry Woz
    Rancho Framing /White Cap/ Color by Woz TAFC

15. Witchdoctor

Witchdoctor Member

Can help tell when the blower is getting weak too. Higher temps.

16. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Blower Temps

I Agree With Witchdoctor As The Blower Gets Worn You Usually Have To Spin Faster To Make Up Air. We Have A Few Customers That Have Slowed There Blower From 53 To 55 Over Down To 44 Percent And Made Some Tranny Gear Changes And Have Picked Up Almost A Tenth. Manifold Temp Is Critical More Critical Than The Boost Number. I Agree With Alky Drag On The Manifold Spray Bar I Think It Would Be A Great Idea Not Sure What Would Be Legal But I Have Had A Few Manifolds Where Some One Has Put A Spray Bar Thru The Plenum. It Could Be Done With Alch. Or Nitrous Would Be Great But Illegal In Most Sanctioning Bodies. Possibly The Use Of Co2 Would Cool But Not Sure What It Would Do For Combustion. Possibly Some One Could Build A Spray Bar With Using A Fuel Management System That Would Work Of Temp.

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

CO2 will stop combustion. It will put the flame out like a fire bottle.

18. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

can anybody tell , what is the range of intake temp. ?
    on my 509 bbc. 14-71 lit. hi-helix 38% over , 34 lbs boost , i have 135 F. is it ok.

Claude

19. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

135 degrees is good at 38% over!!

20. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Temp

I Agree With Lonnie That Is A Cool Manifold Temp.