Mallory supermag rev limiter

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrod200, Dec 9, 2012.

1. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

Hi, im just wondering if anyone had had any luck with any rev limiters for a supermag 5 mine puts out 4.8 amps, i have looked at ETC's, an Autometer pro control box, PSI limters but i have heard mixed reports about all, and not one good story about reliablity???? i was hoping to run an two stage ETC with an RPM switch as id like to have one stage on the same button as a transbrake as im running a glide and the Rpm switch activate a shifter, that would be ideal but at the end of the day i just want a reliable limiter, if anyone has any ideas please message me thanks.

2. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

I don't know about the other units but I have had no luck what so ever with the ETC. Fitted as per instructions, wanted to do much the same as yourself. Did not work so sent it back (long ride from Aussie) and he checked and said all good... Put it back on the car and still not working - when I say that I set it to 8500 and it was rev limiting in the burn out, I watched the tach and reached about 6000... I have to find time to muck around with it and see if it is working but number on the dial is different to real number and work out the difference... Pete

3. altered8

altered8 Member

Had the exact same with a sm1V, rev limited at 6000ish with fie etc when set at 7800rpm, triple checked all wiring and insulated and shielded everything still no better,figured it to be out by around 1700rpm so started to creep limit up using a pro control for shifting until it broke input shaft on gearbox one run shifting 1-2 and motor revved to 11500rpm and hit valves. Through it in the bin and went promag,now everything works better! Another local blown altered with same unit fie etc on a smV same problem,sent it back no fault found, blaming emi, rewired, reinsulated after 3 costly meetings abandoned unit and runs without any limiter again. Hate to run any product down but hate to see hard earned spent wastefully.

4. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

Yes I wish I had just went with a pro mag to start with, the money I spent on having the Mallory checked and hopped up with FIE and then the rev limiter and timing control would have been 2/3rds of a 44, one is on the wish list...

Pete

5. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

Ok thanks so anyone want to buy a fresh services supermag 5?

6. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

There will be more than one on the market soon ... BTW sent you a PM

Pete

7. GumBGone

GumBGone Member

I have used all 3 rev limiting devices mentioned above. Had the same problems with the etc that others have, mine would not operate the shift light on the track and when we lowered it to test it was off by a little. The PSI rev limiter is really simple by design and extremely accurate but lacks the RPM switch. The pro control had some issues with emi I believe but I did not explore it in depth. I have the pro control and PSI for sale if anyone is interested. I went to a 44.

8. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I think we've bought 4 ETC limiters for 3 engines, he did warranty rebuild several of them, but so far I can't make them live either. I do love their "softness" when they are working, but right now I have 3 of them that don't work again :mad:

I really tried figuring out if it was me and I don't know what else to try.

I vibrated 3 apart because of my mount, but I have changed it and they still don't live?

Seems like they need to take some technology from motorcycles. Isn't most cycle stuff potted for vibration reasons? You take a MSD motorcycle ignition box apart and its solid epoxy or whatever that stuff is, there ino repairing them since they are encapsulated in a compound.

Whatever happen to that guy that was on here saying he was coming out with a limiter for Mallory mags?

9. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

I work in the proto type industry, maybe i should egt one and cover it in a a rubber compound, only thing is if it plays up there wll be no fixing it!

10. Kramer Metal Fab Inc.

Psi

So the PSI works with the Mallory? Maybe Spud will come up with a good option since he is the Mallory guy now.

11. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

Spud sells a tricked up ETC box to work with more amps from what i believe.

12. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

I have been toying with the idea of running a small battery and trying to use some MSD components to make one, ie using a rpm activation switch that activatea a shift light, to try and activatea a soft touch rev control unit, that was you can just put the rpm pills in it that you want, i think it could work? i have looked at the wiring diagrams.....someone else should have a look at it also. im not wiring or electronics expert though.
    Thanks

13. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

The ETC unit I have is one of Spuds and I have his hopped up mag - I have not tried mine on a 2 step set up, as previous the problem I have is I set at 8500 and it limits at about 2000 lower so I don't feel I can trust it...

hotrod200 I don't think you will be able to use any of the MSD gear with the Mallory.. They use points where the MSD stuff is all electronic...

The PSI rev limiters are very reliable as far as I have heard but they do add some height to the mag if you are tight for space...

Pete

14. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

The components listed also work with points ignition, it worked on a Mallory comp 9000 I had in my street rod. So there may be a chance
    To make it work I think, although I think I'd also have to run a battery to power the devices. The only reason I really don't think that MSD have compiled something as one unit to work with the Mallory mags is it would probably reduce sales of their electric mags as I imagine not everyone needs that much mag. I think I'm going to have a crack at making it work, the benefits if it works far outway buying something else that doesn't work! Other than a PSI which is more difficult to adjust the limit. Thanks

15. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I hit the 9000 limiter on a psi one time, sheared all the lower blower bolts and the flywheel bolts at the same time! but it worked as intended, didnt go over 9000

16. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I liked the PSI rev limiter the best, the other units are unreliable

17. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

I too had some issues with my ETC, got with Hank and he made it right. Good guy to deal with and stands behind his product.The one thing I did with mine was to silicone the on off swich to on,then have a seperate dashboard switch to activate the ETC after the burnout,due to the vibrations would affect the switch.I have an Autometer rev limiter for a super mag for sale if you are interested,maybe 20 runson it $75.00 + ride.DAVE

18. dragboat316

dragboat316 Member

PSI Rev Limiter - 8500

For Sale.....

PSI Rev Limiter, fresh back from PSI, set to 8500 rpm.....for use with Mallory Super Mag and/or any offset drive.

$300.00

Bill Barnes
    Tracy, Ca.
    (209) 406-9316

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I sent you a PM and email.

20. turboDrag

turboDrag Member

What you guys are after should be possible for somebody to make...
    But I dont think the question is about the actual "limiter" itself..
    We need a "Mallory Mag Compatable" electronic points box that is capable of absorbing the spark when using a limiter,then a simple plug in msd limiter via any box or Ecu could be incorporated not to mention also a crank trigger???.Could then adjust timing on the run...