M1 to M5 need the straight goods

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dandimand, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dandimand

dandimand New Member

We are going to Run our car next weekend in Vegas and have been Running M1 all year but we have a new combination and never really had our tuneup figured out so we have the opportuinity to get some M5 for the same price as M1 what will the differences really be in the tuneup timing etc... we are running a procharged EFI 430" ford Engine with zoomies . Will reading the plugs be any different etc.. . Pls only proper answers no guessing thanks.

2. BrianD

BrianD Member

While I have no experience running M5 in a blown application, we did run it in a midget at the Chili Bowl last year. I thought it seemed to wake the car up a little bit and made it snappier. We didn’t make any changes to our base line jetting when we made the switch, but at the time felt we were on the rich side with the methanol we had been running.

3. Horweenracing

Horweenracing Member

Horween racing WPB Fl. blown alcohol door car.We just swithced over to
    m5 from reg. meth it increased the idle from about 1900-2000 to 2700 rpm
    had to change spring in poppet for idle circuit to way stiffer to get back down to 2000rpm.more fuel at idle seems to contaminate the oil much quicker.
    Not sure on performance gains as we ran eigth all year and ran the m5 in orlando in the quarter.I will say the fumes are horrible but we got a drum and
    will try it again at the end of the month.Good luck post your results please
    thanks,Doug horween nhra2650

4. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I had the same issues as the others. It is hard to stage unless you have a helment with breathers in it and the crew will complain as well. We switched back, really no problems but we figured we were not using all of our power with M1 so its not worth the extra 150 per barrel and the extra trouble.

5. dandimand

dandimand New Member

Well we got the car running there was no difference in idle speed only thing we did notice other than the smell which is bad!!! is when you rev it and let it decelerate it will burn orange out of the pipes . we did try to lean it out went from 3.8 up as high as 6.0 and the Egt temps got really high we may use this to warm the car up as we noticed alot of steam out of the pipes and out of the breathers when we did this we would assume this is because the oil temp got above 140 deg which we have never had happend before during warm ups . but we find we still need our af ratio in the low 4s to maintain an idle egt temp of around 500 to 600 . when we leaned it some of the cylinders hit over a 1000 . we were running 31 deg timing at idle will raising or lowering this timing have an affect on egt temps and if so which way does what ? we are moving approx 40 lbs of fuel idling at 1500 rpm we used to move 60 lbs . we had it as lean as 20 lbs .we are loading up and heading for vegas on monday so any suggestions as to what may help also with the elevation in vegas how much will it affect power as we normally run at 1000 feet with 60% humidity and baromter in the high 20s low 30s . Thanks for all your help guys .also are we assuming the the correct af ratio for lets say 2000 hp would be approx 2500 lbs of fuel assuming the supercharger takes 400 hp to drive bringing the horspower needed for fuel up to 2400 hp ? we heard that this fuel should run about 10% richer so that would bring our lbs per hour up into the 2700 range are we correct in assuming this or are we out to lunch ?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  6. nextgen

nextgen New Member

M1 does not equal M5

wehave been running a M5 all year and it makes more power on bottom end we leave the line with 7lbs more boost at 27 over. make same power as unmodified M1 top end 37-39+ 9,500. on dyno saw same thing.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Educate me here........how can M5 make more boost down low or anywhere? Maybe there is something I am missing and I am willing to learn.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

OK Nextgen just thinking.......is this a turbo car that had an increase in boost?

9. nextgen

nextgen New Member

m5 makes more power low

Mike very simple, they reworked the both openings, ported and changed shape. our k 11 with Oddy work made more boost than stock. Check with Bill Leverentz he might give some dope it is not my place to give out info.

the m5 makes more boost than the modified k11 at 6,000 or so. different shape outlets and outlets are moved.

steve

10. Kevin O'Dell

Kevin O'Dell Member

It sounds like he is talking about an M5 blower not M5 VP Methanol

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Now I understand which chapter he is on. Nextgen we are discussing VP Fuels M1 and M5 methanol and not the M5 blower.

12. Danny Humphreys

In the words of Roseann Roseanna Danna, "nevermind" :D:D