Lock - Up Clutch Breakage?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Flamin Raymond, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Flamin Raymond

Flamin Raymond New Member

A friend told me he has heard of the new lock-up clutches "coming apart." I figured this is where to get the straight scoop. Anyone else heard of this happening, or is it just a rumor going around? Thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Call Bob Brooks at AFT and ask him

3. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

I know Cy Chesterman's came apart at the Finals last year and that was why he didn't return to make the final qualifying attempt. Other then that I don't know of any others.

4. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

did Bob Newbery brake one today in Gainsv'l. It said theres a lot of sparks at the finish line which mostly means cluch. wasnt morgan lucas going there to.

5. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

I run a total lock up clutch and there is no rumor they where having problem. Chesterman had the protoype and had several learning curves, his crew chief designed the clutch Les Davenport. The last batch that left AFT had bad set screws for the stall springs they caused serious clutch damage. These set screws on the stall springs would break during warm up under high RPM. And to my knowledge from Mike at Newberrys camp they werent planning on trying the clutch cover again until Huston.

6. P/M Truck

P/M Truck New Member

YT, what flavour of lockup do you run and do you like working with it? At PRI I heard that Boninfante will be offering a lockup clutch also.

7. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

I have an AFT, Crower is coming out with one. As of right now Aft has the only one. I like the Aft also because any questions the can answer because they worked with the man who designed it while i think the others are just coping the design.