Lenco trans oil ?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by mark6052, Dec 21, 2006.

1. mark6052

mark6052 Member

what is the prefered oil to use in a lenco 3spd, in a/fc? i have used synthetic, have heard 30wt motor oil. is ford type f to harsh?

2. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

Huh, you just opened a can of worms. I'd be willing to bet you don't get two answers the same. Then ask capacity of the trans.
    Laughing in advance.
    Wags

3. PM 3570

PM 3570 New Member

We run type F Ford. very good results.
    1 quart a section.

4. Tim Stevens

For years we have run Generic Type F ATF with absolutely no issues. 1-quart per gear and 1/2 a quart in reverse. I do change it frequently though, like to monitor the condition of clutches, etc..

5. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

30 wt motor oil 1 quart in each front box and a 1/2 quart in the rear.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Both ATF and engine oil supply the required amount of lubrication and cooling for a Lenco transmission. We happen to run synthetic AFT. I believe the main difference between running ATF and 30wt engine oil is the speed in which the Lenco clutches can close up at the shift. Since the 30 wt oil is thicker it takes a little more time to be pushed out from between the clutches/steels whereas the ATF is thinner and can be pushed out faster.. The 30 wt oil therefore cushions and slows the clutch engagement and the shift shock a little and the ATF in turn gives you a faster more positive engagement. I guess it is possible if the pull is not set correctly with the 30 wt oil the clutches may build up more momentum at the shift and slip more than with the ATF and cause some wear but they are going to wear some anyway. This may have more effect on the car’s shift if the car is heavy or the car is light. I would say that this would be more of a personnel preference of how the car feels at the shift points and would not make that much difference to the life of the Lenco.

7. PM 3570

PM 3570 New Member

I am currently checking my cs1 and found the planetary thrust bearing fall apart. it sounded not right when i turned it. and when i wanted to take it out, all roller balls did fal out. i guess this is not normal..:rolleyes:
    Well, my question is: what about the plates ? when to replace them ?
    and i know there are differant ones to put back. which do you recomend ?

8. JM

JM Member

Lenco oil

Here's my 2 cents worth......
    My thought is that a lenco (or Owens) needs an oil lubricant for the bearings, and a frictional lubricant for the clutch pak. I have been using synthetic Harley Davidson sportster oil as it was designed for the dual purpose application. Some guys are using motorcycle transmission/clutch fluids by Bel Ray or Torco.
    I have run just ATF and Just 20wt in the past, but have been more pleased with the new fluid at inspection time.
    I run a Dragboat and it seems that we are a little harder on the sprags than the asphault guys.
    Happy Holidays to everyone in insidetopalcohol - land.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

JM, ATF is a lubricating oil for bearings as well as the clutches and the steels it is not just a fluid for clutches.I don't know why it is called a fluid vice an oil maybe because of the viscosity but it is still a thin lubricating oil. Look at regular automatic transmissions they use ATF and have no problems with bearings. My monster Allison transmission in my diesel motor home only uses ATF and it has no problems. There are a lot of manual transmissions in regular cars that just use ATF.The American Synthol Synthetic ATF we use is so slick that it is hard to get off the parts and your hands.

If you are saying that you are mixing ATF with motor oil then I can't understand really why the necessity to do that because either one can do the job by itself. There is a possible problem in compatibility especially with the different additives in ATF and in motor oil that could actually cause the mixture to be less protective. If it was better to be mixed together so it would lubricate the bearings and the clutches then surely the petroleum industry would have already done that.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

JM, maybe I misunderstood that if you are or are not mixing the two together.

11. JM

JM Member

Lenco oil

I don't think I could have wrote it any clearer - I have used both individually - not mixed. But go ahead and blast away on you podeum.......
    Just saying from my limited experience compaired to yours, that I have had great life in the lenco's and Owens units with synthetic sportster fluid.

12. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

my 2 cents here
    the best fluid i have had the best wear and least parts failure
    is with amsoil series 2000 0-30 wt syn. motor oil
    have used type F atf and other oils
    but this saves the bearings and clutches the best in my opinion

13. rmills

rmills New Member

I have ran Royal Purple ATF for the last 4 plus years without even a slight problem. Just do maintance after every race and maybe replace a couple of fibers here and there. No signs of any wear at all on ther gears or planetary.

On my rig the shifter would get so hot you could not even hold on to it on a long trip we put Royal Purple Nitro 60 in the tranmission and now no heat from it at all. That means it must be doing its job. No heat means no signs of undue friction

14. mark6052

mark6052 Member

lenco oil

thanks for the input, i think i will go with the synthetic atf. good idea on the oil for the transporter. i run a dodge with the old getrag, will use the royal 60wt. good racing to all.

15. sdpm

sdpm New Member

Torco syn MTF. 1 qt for each unit.:D

16. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

Same here.

17. pop

pop New Member

lenco says to use 10w30 motor oil

18. Crew

Crew Volunteer

Depends which time you call. I have been told ATF and SAE 30w from them.

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you go back to post #6 on the first page is what they told me sometime ago on the difference between using ATF and 10W-30

20. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Mark 6052: It's nice to see the diversity of opinion in the answers you've received. We use Mobil 1 5w-30. It really takes the heat and softens the shift impact just enough for us not to have to pull timing out to make the shift on slippery tracks. Call Dave Sumek at Lenco-- he's raced the Lenco & the Lenco drive and can tell the pros and cons of different oils on the clutches and planetaries. He's even done work on variations: this oil for slippery tracks; that oil for aggressive tracks. Even done work on boosting shift pod pressure. Good Luck this coming year.