Lenco or BJ

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BIG POWER, Oct 3, 2006.

1. BIG POWER

BIG POWER New Member

Lenco or BJ what is the difference between the 2 have a lenco now just wondering

2. fathead

fathead New Member

Lenco

One good thing about a lenco is lots people use them,so if you hurt something you don't have in the trailer,you can most likely get it from somebody at the track.(buy,trade,barrow,whatever.)
    Last season a fellow racer broke his B&J,but won the round.He couldn't make the next round because no one else ran one,therefore no spare parts.
    I run Pro Street,not quite hardcore like most the tad & tafc guys here,but theres my two cents, if it helps.:)

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

There are lots of guys running B&J's so I can't imagine not being able to find parts unless you're at a 2 car race or no one likes you.

4. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

trans

Not a whole lot of difference between the two.
    B&J takes 400# air pressure to shift it- Lencos take 150#
    B & J is a little bigger in dia.
    Lenco is a little easier to work on
    Lenco is a little harder on sprags
    Both are good pieces.
    We have run B&Js for 12 years with almost no problems.

5. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

I just got a B&J through Howard Moon (AMS/Rage Pro Mod Team) they run the B&J in the pro mod and also ran them in Von Smith's Funny car and havent had any issues with it. One thing that I already like about the B&J compared to a Lenco is that there are no "pods" or adjustments that need to be made externally to shift it. You just bolt your air line up to it and go. One drawback however is that it doesnt have a "neutral" so you have to hold the clutch in while towing and we pull the axles out to put it in the trailer and transport the car.

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The B&J can be serviced in your sleep. Like any brand tranny, it all depends on what you're used to.

In 1,000+ competitive runs in TA/FC we have flipped one sprag. It's all in the maintenance.

Since Mike Strausberg took it over the already good quality of the B&J got even better.

Gary's my pal, too. So I'll never say anything but good things about the Lenco.

7. a/fd slngsht

a/fd slngsht Member

heres my 2 cents for whats its worth..... mike at B&J is great to deal with!! had some problems with a unit i bought used and he went way outta his way to help me..... he even talked to me SUNDAY !!!!!!!!!
    BTW.... the b&j is lighter and easier to work on then a powerglide!!!! Mike Taylor

8. Lonnie Houde

Lonnie Houde Member

We've run both. We are staying with the BnJ!!!

9. afueldigger

afueldigger tire wiper

We have run both as well, I prefer the B&J and that is what we have stuck with.......The B&J is a shorter unit as well. If I had to pick the one and only thing I do not like about the B&J it would have to be the slide gear in the reverser it works fine but you had better be damn sure the wheels have stopped rotating before you touch that reverser handle, Its not an issue on the track but we have had a issue on the jacks. We had a friend of mine in the car for a warmup and he didnt get the wheels to a complete stop before he started to pull on the reverser handle and it broke 4 of the 8 splines off the slide gear.
    Gary

10. Clutch Maggot

Clutch Maggot New Member

B&J has came out with a new reverser that has a far better design and will hold up to any abuse you can throw at it. AS far as which trans. is better i would have to say the B&J for a couple reasons,first service. Mike goes out of his way to help out his customers. At the last race i saw 6 crew members working on one lenco, I have changed the ratio in the front section in our B&J and had it back together in 12 min. We have parked next to some tafc teams and seen them roll sprags every run and even throw the rods out because of a lenco. We have over 65 run's on our B&J this year, Which brings me to my last point, WE CARRY (1) trans for our TAD look around in the the trailers of anyone running a lenco and see how many spares they carry!

11. Clutch Maggot

Clutch Maggot New Member

B&J has designed a new reverser that can take as much abuse as you can throw at it! As far as which trans. is better I would say without a doubt the B&J trans is better. Foremost because of the service, Mike strasburg goes out of his way to take care of his customers! I have seen different situations at the track that show the B&J trans to be better and easier to work on. There was a TAFC next to us at the last race. They were using a Lenco trans and they rolled a sprag every pass. There was a team of 6 working on a Lenco for the entire turn around. I changed the front ratio and had it back in within 12 minutes. We've put over 65 runs on one B&J trans in our TAD WITHOUT A SINGLE FAILURE!!Look in anyone's trailer who runs a Lenco and see how many spares they have to bring to the track.