Installing an RPM logger

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by GregM784, Dec 26, 2019.

1. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Purchased a logger from Randy. Starting the wiring procedures. Any tips or pit falls? For the time being, doing 4 pressure sensors, g-meter, and driveshaft speed.

I dislike wiring. a lot. :)

2. GottaGoFaster

GottaGoFaster Member

Hi Greg--I've had great performance from the RPM system (DL20 with dash) and support from Randy. Added additional sensors and the dash along the way, the folks at RPM always willing to help out.

TIP: make sure the data port is easy to access for plugging/unplugging download cable. I positioned the main unit on pass side of cockpit--back toward wheel well (pro-mod door car). The only slight bummer is the data cable port is not super easy to see to hook it up. So i leave it hooked up and just coil the cable around my CO2 bottle when making a pass.

Otherwise, all sensors, EGT's, etc have worked very well.

GregM784 likes this.
  3. G Martin

G Martin Member

Greg,

I have an RPM unit on my altered, If you want to come by and see how it is setup and wired, give me a call. I am just a few miles down the road.

(530) 677-6968

Greg

GregM784 likes this.
  4. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Thanks Greg. I will.

5. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Thanks!

6. Big Steve

Big Steve Member

I have a dragster and made a short extension cable and installed a DB9 D Shell in my dash to connect to.

You can also buy the wireless software so you don't need to connect to the data port.

I have been using RPM performance data logger for 8 years and also beta tested the Dash for Randy for almost a year before it was released, great product and software is super easy to use. Sensors will not break the bank either. Randy is always there to help

Lennon300 and GregM784 like this.
  7. hydrotherapy

hydrotherapy Member

I have 2 one on a altered and one on a boat ,also have his dash and a wireless download I use all 27 channels and Randy is the greatest guy when it comes to support,and like Big Steve said it wont break the bank.

8. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I have the logger mounted I have the sensors roughed out. Can they be attached directly to the engine (oil, boost, fuel pres)? Not sure if they'll live with the vibration

9. GregM784

GregM784 Member

can the accelerator be mounted inverted, as long as the ---> points forward?

10. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Randy recommends not hard mounting any of the sensors....I have mine mounted in a rubber coated flat steel clamp (think heater hose holder on a fender well or electrical wire holder) to the chassis but zip tying them to a fuel or oil hose works well to...screwing them into to engine does not last long...I would also be concerned with the high frequency vibration breaking the sensors off at the 1/8" pipe threads - creating a massive oil or fuel leak....

11. Kramer Metal Fab Inc.

Greg,
    If you run a Super Mag/FIE Mag. Mount anything related to the computer as far away from the mag/coil and wires as possible or you may have signal issues. I have had them.

12. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I run an MSD 20, however it's off the front of the engine, i'm staying way from it. :) Thanks!

13. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I talked to Randy on this, upside down is OK

14. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Thank you for the reply. Does adding hose cause a delay in the sensor at all? My thinking is no, as the line will already have pressure from whatever source it's connected to.

-03 suitable?

15. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I too picked up a 4' cable to leave connected to the logger at all times. Would rather not wear that connector out. Thanks!

16. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I've settled on remotely mounting sensors to try and make them live. Also mounting data logger on a strip of high density foam to protect it from vibrations.

Box is mounted, sensor plate made, and going in saturday.

Thanks guys

17. aafa760

aafa760 Member

you seen mine work well

GregM784 likes this.
  18. GregM784

GregM784 Member

i'm looking forward to getting data from runs. I guess that means no more lying to my crew chief...........

19. Big Steve

Big Steve Member

I have had the same oil pressure sensor mounted directly to the engine block for 7 years and has never failed. The only one I have on a hose is blower boost, but that's only because of the location but sensor is mounted to the midplate. Trans pressure sensor also mounted directly to servo cover.

20. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Are you getting good trans line pressure results on the server cover? My plan was to mount mine there as well.