Hat spacer

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dstettner, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dstettner

dstettner New Member

I HAVE A BLOWN TOP DRAGSTER WITH A 871 HIGH HELIX BIG CHEIF MOTOR , I AM NEW TO THE BLOWN DEAL , BUT WHEN I FIRST BUILD IT HAD NO HAT SPACER, AND WAS TOLD I NEEDED ONE WITH THE BIG AND UGLY INJECTOR AS IT FLOWS LIKE CRAP WITH OUT MOVING IT FORWARD AND UP ,, SO THE CAR RAN LIKE A TOP WITH OUT IT AND WOULD SHIFT AT 7300 AND GO THROUGH AT 7450 SO LAST SEASON I INSTALLED A SPACER THAT MOVED THE HAT 2 INCHS UP AND FORWARD OPEN WITH NO DIVIDER NOW I CANT PULL IT TO 7300 AND ITS LIKE SOMEONE SHUT THE KEY OFF BEFORE THE SHIFT. IT SHIFTS THEN COMES BACK TO LIFE . IVE BEEN TOLD RIGHT BEFORE THE SHIFT IT HAMMERS FUEL OUT THE ZOOMIES . ANYWAYS MY QUESTION SHOULD I THROW THE SPACER OFF OR WORK WITH IT ?? I TRIED LEANING IT OUT AND NO DIFFERENCE SPUN THE BLOWER HARDER NO DIFFERENCE ?? :mad:

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It is very important that the correct spacer is used. First the top of the spacer should be a exact match for the outlet of the hat and second the bottom of the spacer should be a match for the blower top opening. Mismatches that create ridges that the airflow hits will really take away power.

There re are other things that can cause the problem you are see which is not the spacer. What does the base circle of the plugs look like after a run. Does a brand new set of plugs still look brand new after a run or is the cadimum burning off the base circle of the plugs? What ignition system are you using? When was the last time you changed plug and coil wires? Have you checked spring pressures?

3. dstettner

dstettner New Member

Im using a msd 7al3 ignition and yes the plugs look like brand new after a run except for a couple which have slight burn, also springs have about 13 runs on them havnt checked pressure but I will

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

5. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

And just because they sell a spacer doesn't mean it's correct. If the radius in the front and rear follow each other exactly. The air will fall off the radius and start turbulating before it gets to the rotors and that bad. Think about it. if you put your intake on and it missing half the port to the head. Does it work? Yes it will run but will it run properly ? No way. There is a reason Janis, fowler, billies , ford charge what they do for blowers, spacers! They did all the rnd. They know what works and what doesn't. You think a $250 spacer actually works?? No way! And .016 seems wide mike. I would blow cylinders out at high rpm. Had to switch to .014. Been ok since.

6. dstettner

dstettner New Member

plug gap is 20 ya im only running 20 percent overdrive was thinking of making a bigger swing at the pulley set up to like 28 percent and watch the plugs ? Mabe run it to the 660 then check em