Hat Spacer

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Great Googly Moogly, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

Have any of you roots blower guys run a 3" spacer under the hat? If so, did you have any problem with them...fuel distribution...etc?

2. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Frank Zappa

3. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

3" forward 1 7/8" up, no problems but I put the nozzles in the same location but in the riser.

4. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

IT ALL GOES OUT THE PIE IN FRONT ANYWAY.but moving it foward is a good idea!

5. dak

dak Member

I've seen this on a couple of cars..Not TAD/TAFC but on blown Top Dragster/Sprotsman cars ...Pushing the hat 3-4" up and forward...My question is why?

6. Great Googly Moogly

Someone sold me this chassis that is very low slung. When I mounted my body on it, the hat is only out of the body about an inch. I figured a hat spacer is cheaper than a manifold. The rumor mill has told me that the spacer will only cause problems. We've already talked about moving the nozzles down into the spacer. The other idea is to use aluminum sheet metal and divide the spacer into eight equal squares. This would not only channel the fuel from the nozzles but also help straighten out the air flow into the blower.

Any other ideas?

7. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

I may have what you need. spacer plate for root blower.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

according to what i've been told one of the main reasons to space the hat off the blower is the ram air deflection off the rotors that occurs when the injector is low and directly over the rotors. also most blowers like taking air from the front of the rotors, so the more air that is channeled there, the more efficient the blower becomes. also, many roots racers put a divider plate in their spacer to divert the air to the outsides of the blower to also increase efficiency. thats what i've been told on the airflow part of it.

my experience with roots is limited, so i dont know about any fuel distribution problems that may be associated with it. seen alot of fast cars with roots run spacers before the new style injectors came out......

9. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

Googly:
    I may have what you want spacer was used in tractor pull application stainless steel fit 8:71 hole ??
    Ian
    maddhatt@telus.net

10. Great Googly Moogly

Hatter,
    Thanks but I've already got the spacer on the car. I'll let you know next weekend how it worked...