hand held weather station

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by noiraude, Jul 11, 2018.

1. noiraude

noiraude Member

hi All!
    i'm about to buy a hand held weather station:what is best to get started?
    door car with blown alky KB wedge
    thank you in advance for advice.
    cyril

2. GregM784

GregM784 Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

4. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Computech 3000

5. Eric David Bru

Which, if any, automatically feed to your data recorder/racepak?

EDB

6. noiraude

noiraude Member

thanks a lot for advices!
    if this is of any importance,i do not run a data logger on the car...

7. Eric David Bru

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The AltaLab Trailer mounted weather station will tie in directly via the Laptop to Alky Pro alcohol tuning software. It is great it automatically tracks the weather and keeps automatically adjusting the main jet for changes in corrected altitude, humidity, temperature and fuel temparature. You can also put the Alky Pro apps on your iphone and have Alky Pro send you the weather and recommended main jet to your phone in the staging lanes. No longer do you have to spend time tracking weather with your weather station or have it give you incorrect data while in the staging lanes due to extra heat from car engines or heat off the asphalt.

9. Charles Stewart

Mr. Canter,
    I read and respect a lot of your informations on this site but I'm a little more curious, here. With the Kestrel 4250 you can obtain real data at the start of a run. I always thought that, this was the best place to log. Can you help me more ?
    Thank in advance and please, keep on,
    Charles Stewart

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I have found in my experience dial in racing with Top Dragsters the trailer mount weather station appears to be more consistent.

Obviously you want the weather as close to when you run. If you are putting a jet in it back at the pit, your results will vary depending on how close the air is when you run is compared to what it was when you left the pit, or anticipated it to be.

What I preach to the dial in guys with MFI is if you aren't staying on top of your jet, you're not only chasing the change in DA but a changing AFR. You can put a rich pill in it and theoretically stay safe all weekend as long as there's not a big weather swing. But in TD/TS there is typically a night run or early morning run at some point in eliminations. It might be somewhat consistent while it's at a relatively rich AFR, but when that night or morning run comes around, once the motor starts to get "happy" with a leaner AFR, it's really going to pick up.

I use a dial a jet in a leanout block to make last minute jet changes in the lanes. I have a pretty simple system based off a certain change in DA gets a certain dial position on the jet. This helps me keep the right jet in it for the air. If I get a page after the burnout and I see enough of a change, I can make a change on the fly (outside the car obviously).

11. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

I have the ALKYPRO stuff now and I do remember a weather station option, is it only the altalab or will others work to tie in it??? Im looking at this right now as an upgrade.

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Right now Alky Pro works with Altalab, PerformAire and Computech RaceAir. I have only used it with AltaLab. If you buy AltaLab you don’t need the pager option which will make it cheaper because you have the Alky Pro cellphone apps