Greg Hunter and Synoil Racing Starting First Season Together at Pomona

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Feb 6, 2014.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Greg Hunter and Synoil Racing Starting First Season Together at Pomona

POMONA, Calif. (February 6) – Wyoming's Greg Hunter starts the 2014 NHRA season with a new team, car, and class. After two years of competing in Top Alcohol Dragster, Hunter is making the switch to Top Alcohol Funny Car with Geoff Goodwin's Synoil Energy Services team. The Canadian group will enter their first race together at this weekend's NHRA Circle K Winternationals in Pomona.

Greg and the Synoil Racing team recently tested in Las Vegas to prepare for the season-opening race. The test session was a welcomed opportunity for Greg to acquaint himself with the Synoil car and the driving style required to drive a high-powered, short wheelbase alcohol funny car.

“Testing went great. The Synoil team did an awesome job of making me feel comfortable in the car. They're truly a professional team. We made a few successful practice runs which gave me time to adjust to the driving style of a funny car. The first full run was a 5.62 at 248 MPH. The results from testing really have me excited for the Winternationals,” Greg exclaimed.

Hunter, who brings his ExactAir sponsorship to the new team, was in the process of fielding his own alcohol funny car when he got the opportunity to drive the Kenny Gilmour Motorsports Top Alcohol Dragster in 2012. Greg says one of the biggest changes was the difference between the in-car experience in his car and the in-car experience in the Synoil car.

“I had very limited experience with my screw-blown alcohol funny car. We were always working on it, trying to make it run right. Going from that car to a car that is competitive from the start is the biggest difference. It's a newer car with all current, top-notch parts. That aspect has made the switch go smoothly.”

Greg's two years of experience in the dragster and the time spent preparing over the winter helped him make the switch back to Top Alcohol Funny Car.

Overall, it was a smooth transition,” Hunter claimed. “The experience I had in a dragster, the faster speeds, helped me make the transition to driving a competitive alcohol funny car. I got a lot of really good sensations from being in the car, such as the push-pull sensation. Just hearing the motor in front of me and being ready to go that fast helped a lot. I felt very comfortable in the car.”

Though the Winternationals will be the team's first race together, Greg is already happy with his new opportunity.

“I'm super excited going into this season. I've known the guys for a while and got along well with them. Geoff and Walley (Protz) are legends in Canadian drag racing. Learning about their history and what they've been a part of makes it an honor for me to have the opportunity to drive their car,” said Hunter, who is originally from Alberta, Canada.

The Synoil Racing team will be racing with heavy hearts, as crew member John Leach lost his father earlier this week. Greg and the team send their thoughts and prayers to the Leach family.

Top Alcohol Funny Car qualifying sessions at the NHRA Circle K Winternationals are scheduled for 11 AM and 2:30 PM Friday and 10:30 AM Saturday. Eliminations will start at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon.

Greg Hunter and Geoff Goodwin's Synoil Racing Top Alcohol Funny Car team have teamed up for the 2014 season. With primary support from Synoil Energy Services and ExactAir Compliance Systems, Hunter will run a full schedule of NHRA Mello Yello Series national events and LODRS regional events. Synoil Racing receives additional support from Northgate Industries Ltd., Ron Hodgson Chevrolet-GMC-Buick, Southgate Buick, Twister Piling Inc., Proform Concrete Services Inc., Prowling Contracting, Pumps & Pressure Inc., Waylon Transport, Hampton's Oilfield Service, Landale Signs, MD Truck Repair, and Castrol.

Like Synoil Racing on Facebook at www.facebook.com/synoilracing.