Goodyear D2922 - Goodyear Eagle Drag Slicks

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Trickie67, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Trickie67

Trickie67 Member

I read on the GoodYear site and it says requires beadlock wheels so I was wondering if it can be used on non beadlock wheels?
    I already have the Hooiser 34.5X17X16 so I would like to get this goodyear on my wheels.
    Thanks

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not trying to be a smart ass here but if it says it has to be used on bead lock wheels would definitely mean it cannot be used on non headlock wheels.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

liners

Many top alcohol teams run these tires with an inner liner set up.

4. noiraude

noiraude Member

need education on the topic

hi all!
    very interesting topic,which has me ask you for some explanation on the use of tubes,liners,beadlock/non beadlock wheels.
    i have 2 sets of cragar racing wheels,one is 16X16 beadlocks,the other 15X16 non beadlocks.
    i have a set of goodyears 36X17.5X16 and M/Ts 34X13.5X16.
    i want to use the goodyears with the non beadlocks(nothing is mentioned on the tire about it,whereas the M/Ts have it mentioned on the sidewalls that they should be used with beadlocks)
    when buying the M/Ts,i asked the seller if i needed tubes with them:he said yes so i bought some.
    then i checked the M/T website and there is no tube reference recommendation for these tires,which leaves me confused...
    then come the liners:i always thought they were a safety device to keep the tires "round" in case of problem down the track.
    so my question is :when does it become safer to use beadlocks (hp level related?)rather than non beadlocks?
    when to use tubes?liners?
    last year,at an ADRL race,some P/X cars seemed to use non beadlock wheels,others did,so why?:p:p:p:p:p:p

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Beadlocks and liners try to do the same thing ....:. Keep the tire on the rim in the event of tire failure. However In the attempt to control a tire from poping off the rim it was discovered that not only did it make it safer, but a car with a lot of horsepower could see a benefit in performance as well. This was because with the beadlock wheel by clamping the tires bead between the locks and the rim , sidewall stiffness was improved and helped it resist tire shake. In the case of a liner wheel you actually have a small ( looks like a little import tire ) tire inside the slick that helps support the sidewall. This makes it stiffer and more resistant to tire shake. As to which combo you need it all depends on what your car wants and a asking for.

6. tad1011

tad1011 Member

I run the goodyear tire with the hoosier liner and tubes and have not experienced any problems. They where mounted by goodyear, since they do not
    make a liner or tube for that set up. 50 # in the liner and 6# in the tire as per goodyears recommendation. I believe some teams are running them tubeless
    but you need a newer wheel so they do not leak or equalize.

7. Trickie67

Trickie67 Member

No harm done Mike
    I know it is made for beadlock but I was wondering what happen if it was used on a non beadlock? How is the tire different from other tire that use non beadlock?
    I currently have 16 screws per side on the wheels so if this D2922 is being used and using the screws what would happen? Please forgive my stupidity on this question but am curious about it.
    Thanks again

8. noiraude

noiraude Member

sorry for highjacking your thread:eek::eek:

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

10. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Goodyear D2922

This is a very common and popular tire at the track. I didn't know about any requirements to run bead locks with them. I don't know anybody who does. At the track you will generally only see beadlocks on A/fuel cars. None of the TAFC or blown TADs run beadlocks that I know of. Stories I have heard is that no one can really get a TAFC down the track with beadlocks. Too bad too cause there is some weight savings with them. Dave Germain

11. blown375

blown375 New Member

Bartone did a couple years ago and was fast but went back to the liner set up.
    I talked to Boggs about it and he said the bead locks were fast but had a much more narrow tuning window.