Getting Rid Of The Oil In The Valve Covers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by shimaneed, Dec 11, 2005.

1. shimaneed

shimaneed Banned

Would it be possible to drill & tap the front of a brad head to accept an # 8 a/n fitting and run it back to the oil tank? The purpose to suck the oil out of the valve covers, Run two # 8 lines one from each head to a # 10 that's tapped into the oil tank, I`m thinking that the suction and gravity would keep the valve covers dry? Shimmy

2. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

?????????????? why??????????

why??????? oil is a good thing ?

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

My question to you would be...what would happen to your oil tank if you lost a piston and the pan pressure went through the roof? You'd have a pressurized tank, too?

Back in the late 1970's I ran an Arias hemi Chevrolet that had two lines on each valve cover that ran from the corner of the valve covers back to the oil pan.

4. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Oil Pump Scavenge

Shimaneed I Think There Are Several People Doing This With Several Stage Belt Driven Dry Sump Pump Systems On There Bae's. I Would Call Larry Snyder In Indiana They Run The Lenco Drive Car And See If He Has A System Recomendation I Beleive He Scavenges Out Of The Heads On His Motors As Well As Quite A Few Aa/gas Cars With Bae Do The Same Thing. At 110 Pounds Plus Oil Pressure It At Lots Of Rpm It Don't Probaly Take Long To Fill The Heads Full Of Oil. The Other Trick Thing To Do But I Don't Know If Anyone Is Doing Is Do A Oil Air Seperator With The Dry Sump The Oil Probaly Gets A Little Foamy After 10,000 Plus Rpm.good Luck

5. FWRC

FWRC New Member

New Oil Pump- 3 Stage

There is an new oil Pump available thats designed to scavange the heads,Lifter valley as well as the Pan.
    Harry Clack saw it at the PRI show.
    Fully adjustable PSI to 200lbs and flows a high rate of oil.
    These Pumps are available for testing.

6. FWRC

FWRC New Member

Larry Snyder

Anyone have Larry Snyders Phone #?

7. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Larry's Number

219-987-2921 Good Luck

8. Fuel Doctor

Fuel Doctor Nitroholic

Why do you want to scavange oil out of the rocker boxes.
    The oil dampens the spring, reduces spring temp and carries het from the exhaust side. It does this and does not affect horsepower at all. This means you need to build a healthy motor and maintain it.

9. ITS IN MY BLOOD

did you happen to see jason ruperts chet hearbert shot gun ford configured alky deamon he ran in his lucas oil ta/fc ?? it had scavaging from both cylinder heads 3 per side. the oil pump and scavenger use to stick straight out from the front of the motor connected to the fuel pump, i bet it was a foot + long.....lol

10. FWRC

FWRC New Member

Oil FLow

When you go swimming do find it easier to move your arms and legs when your submerged?
    The purpose to evac or scavenge Oil is to continue the flow as soon as possible, Yes it does help with damening issues and lube issues on Rockers and Springs and lifters, Puddleing oil needs to move where its needed most, tothe Crank.
    On the TAF Motors the issues are the small returns at the rear of the blocks.
    Some have gained performance and reliability by enlarging the returns,oiling Pistons and using Spring Oilers.However the Oil must be moved or Scavenged as soon as possible.The existing Pumps are WET sump pumps not a Dry sump design.
    With a true dry sump pump the Pans accomodate several scavange outs to move oil at a high rate of volume.

11. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Scavenge

Great Post I Agree With Your Statments. Chets Motor Had A Lot Of Great Ideas The Bummer With Most Projects Such As That As The Designer Goes On To Another Idea And Never Really Brings The Existing One To The Final Design. There Is Also A Some Great Oil Pumps By A Company I Believe Called Auto Verdi They Have Roots Rotors In Them As Well As Helix Rotors. They Are A Oil/vacum Pump All In One. If Some One Did The Math You Could Figure With Todays Current Oiling Systems, 120 Pounds Plus Oil Pressure And Say 15 Quarts Of Oil By The Time You Fire The Car Do A Burn Out Back Up Lots Of The Oil Is Already In The Heads And As Stated Not A Lot Left In The Tank Or Pan For The Crankshaft It Is Hard To Get It Back To The Pan When The Motor Is Going 10,000 Plus Rpm And You Have Apporximatly .625 To .750 Drain Holes To Return Down To The Pan And Have It Go Back To The Tank(dry Sump) All In 5 To 6 Seconds.

12. Chuck Stevens

Chuck Stevens New Member

If you have to much oil in the heads,

it may be that blowby is fighting the oil as it trys to get back to the pan.

13. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

I doubt your returning anything on the run to the tank, nothing is coming back down with the crank spinning in there plus blowby etc.

14. overkill69

overkill69 Member

We talked to Jim Oddy about the topend oiling. He spent a bunch of dyno time using clear valve covers and stuff trying to develop wet sump Chevys that would live. He gave up and now wants dry sumps on all max effort stuff. We are too cheap/stupid to take his advice so he said to put -12 return hoses out of the valve covers. He also wants the oil system restricted to put the minimum to the top. Our new engine will not pump any oil through the pushrods with a drill priming it. He says fire it and it will start pumping...at stage it will have over 4 qts piled in the covers. We're concerned it won't have enough oil so we're going to keep a close eye on it.

15. FWRC

FWRC New Member

This is a great topic and I enjoy sharing information regarding oiling Issues.Correction: if I may.
    The Helix Style Rotor used in existing multistage Dry Sump pumps was Engineered and Designed By FWRC- (Frank Weiss Racing Components).
    Coppied by some and Mastered by none.
    Our Pumps are used by several Top Cup Teams that run up front week in and week out.(Fords and Chevys).
    The typical TAF and TFFC Cars have what I would refer to as and antiquated
    outdated oiling system for reasons I mentioned in a prior post.
    You Guys need to learn how to move Oil and Scavenge your Engines efficiantly by installing the correct Baffled Tanks, Properly Sized Hose
    and a Multi Staged Dry Sump Pump with adequet pressures (150 to 190 psi )and Depression(vacc.) (13 to 18 in. The results will be, Increased HP, Less Bearing wear and a Happier Engine not to mention more consistant ETs.
    We have tested the above suggestions on a TFFC and the results are fact.
    One TAF Team has addressed these issues and is very consistant with their program, I may not agree with their selection of parts, but you can't argue with success.
    You can look for Our Pumps on a coulple of the Top TAF Teams in 06.
    These comments are not met to be an advertisment !

16. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Pumps

Mark I Think Your Right On The Return To The Tank Pluger Says That The Pump Won't Really Scavenge After The Run Until You Let The Car Idle For A Short Time.

17. Erik Hummel

Erik Hummel New Member

HI Frank,
    Do you have any more info on the pump that scavenges from the heads and valve covers? How do I get in touch with the manufacturer?
    Thanks HUM TA/D 3169

18. FWRC

FWRC New Member

You can Reach Me @ 317-243-9585
    Ask for Chuck

19. DQUES

DQUES Member

Check out this site and click on dry sump oil pans for a pic of their hemi set up . I know it does not draw from the heads but it is a pretty interesting idea . This is also the company that makes the helical rotor oil pumps . www.daileyengineering.com

20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

bump

in reference to a recent discussion...

we will be running the new fwrc oil pump along with jeff wilson in tafc. it's a dry sump pump designed for a hemi. fwrc does many of the top nascar team's dry sump pumps, including rcr's. their new hemi pump is a two stage pump driven off of the mag drive like most hemi oil pumps. we will start with a second scavenge out of the back of the lifter valley in an attempt to get rid of some of the upper engine oil and get it back into the system where it is usable.

we are also looking to try scavenging out of the valve covers once we get some of snyder's custom valve covers with oilers for the valve springs. we don't have the new covers yet, and we don't want to get all that oil out of the covers without supplementing the springs with additional oil.

you can see pictures of the pump at http://www.fwrc.com/oil-systems.html

as you can see the oil filter is integrated into the pump itself. it uses a standard element.