Funny Car / Altered Front Vision...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by BBFA_Pilot, Jan 31, 2007.

1. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

Hey everyone.

This one is very much for the drivers. I've been using a Bird Catcher on my alcohol altered topolino. I've bought a barndoor injector and a scoop which combined will have a height of approx. 12". This will no doubt go over the roof of the topolino body we use, thus giving me no vision down the middle of my vision.

Does any of the drivers think that will be a problem? I could see a few inches over the top of the hat i was using. The front window is quite wide so I have good vision both sides of the hat, and I don't run side windows so that vision is good too.

I can't see any of the track, but I can see the tree and the tops of the guardrails in both lanes. I want peoples opinions on how little is too little?

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

The "I can't see any of the track" part would seem like too little to me. Could you use a shorter hat, like the variety the pro mod guys use? I would think that there might even be some "tech" issues at some tracks if it's an obvious obstruction. I'm sure RBS Superchargers could set you up with something, if not Darren Meyer and Jon and DMPEINC. could.

Just my 1/5th of a dime...
    Brandon

3. TREEMAN

TREEMAN new

Not Good

My Funny was that way after we put a screw blower on. It was an old laydown chassis but once you got up on the tire it was ok if you have to pedal the car you luck runs out watch for flying cones and gaurd rails. Have a nice ride.

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i can't see over the hat on my car either. i watch the left front wheel in relation to the line. you just need to pick a spot downtrack and stay on the same plane. you should be able to judge your distance from the line as you go down track. just my 2 cents

5. Eric David Bru

I didn't even know that altered drivers opened their eyes on a pass... :D

6. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

Well that really depends on how wide the scoop is. We have one of Jeff Fagala's F6 Inductors on our AA/FA which sits 11" above the blower, but it is only 4" wide. All my Dad and I do while driving is point that hat at the center of the finish line and keep it there as best as we can. It only blocks the view sitting on the line a little. Once I leave the line my focus is strictly on the center of the lane past the hat. Once you get used to it I think you will find it isn't that bad.

7. BLOWN INCOME

After 40 Years Of Altered/fc Driving Your Obective Is To Get Your Car Up On The Rear Tires As Soon As Possible..you Will See Just Fine After Your Rear Tires Grow,get Them Up There By Your 60ft.timer.

8. michael hall

michael hall New Member

the hat on our car wasn't that tall, but I had to look around the thing at the line. after that, I'd just look at a spot at the end and lift when I saw either the "beach" or the net! and yes, we do open our eyes, atleast on the burnout so when we back up, we can look at the pretty girls along the fence.

9. Eric David Bru

:cool:

Don't forget to wave!

EDB

10. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

All of the old AA/FD had the blower and injector in your line of vision as most had the driver sitting pretty low unlike the current Nostalga dragsters. I drove these cars and cannot tell you anything except when your eyes leave the tree and you are looking down the track under power the injector in the center of your vision disappears. It never seemed to be a problem except when sitting still or moving around in the pits.

11. michael hall

michael hall New Member

yeah, you have to wave, it's boring just backing up and watching the oil pressure. you have to look at something besides a gauge! tell me you don't look out the side window of your chebby and look around...