Filling simpson air bottle

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITROBANDIT1, Feb 7, 2013.

1. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

ok you funny car guys, i have a simpson fresh air system and need to fill the bottle. i have a scuba tank with regulator and lines. am i correct in hooking up the simson bottle to the unregulated side to fill it, or use a lower pressure preset regulator to fill it? i see the scuba tanks are about 3000 psi, and the simpson bottle is rated to 3000psi. dont want to send this thing into pieces doing it wrong. of course simpson doesnt put any instructions in with this. how do you guys fill these things? dan

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

un reg. side

3. KEITH CLARK

KEITH CLARK Member

filling air bottle

I hook it up bottle to bottle with a hi press hose, just transfer fill from one to the other.

4. willy200

willy200 Member

Check out this web site www.chitownraceproducts.com Look under Fresh Air Fill Hose, Contact Dan a really nice guy that also sells race radios, when I brought my Simpson bottle, Simpson didnt tell me either how to go about refilling it, I spoke with Dan and He told me how to make a transfer hose which we have done, Dan now makes and sells the same thing, We put a exhaust exiting line in our transfer hose with another shut off valve, Same way that we made a co2 transfer hose.

5. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

I fill the simpson bottles out of a standard 280 cu ft cylinder, I take it to be filled at a scuba shop for 40 dollars---- I have a high pressure regulator on this bottle, with the high and low gauges, I fill the small bottle by cracking the the valve open slowly till it just starts to creep into the little bottle------ when the low pressure gauge says 3000, I stop.

If you have 3000 psi scuba tank you can use a transfer hose with out gauges. The second or third time you fill it you will probably start dropping in pressure -------- It just depends how much the driver uses the air to how long 2000 psi will last for example.

Whatever method you use just do it SLOWLY as it does make heat in the small bottle when you fill it fast !!!

6. Chi Town Brown

WUSSY!! LOL

An 80cf scuba tank will fill the Blue bottle or a Chi-Town bottle about 12 times. The compressor in most Scuba shops will only get the tank pressure up to about 3000 psi. Some to 3100 but most to about 2900. Just a transfer hose without guages will get the job done.

7. NITROBANDIT1

no oxy plode

good, thanks guys. i appreciate the info. i always try and research anything that might blow up in my face before screwing with it. i cant believe they dont put some type of info pack with this thing. i see they can fill the tanks with a new type of oxygen that has more o2 in it, but you need a new padi card for it. i guess its inbetween straight o2 and the regular mix. is anybody using this?

8. Chi Town Brown

DO NOT use Oxygen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use breathable air ONLY.. Breathable air is just compressed atmosphere.

9. NITROBANDIT1

thanks guys

thanks for all the info. i got it all working fine now. it actually does get the bottle hot when it goes in, which suprised me. i tried to do it economically with a used tank,etc. and saved a few bucks. thanks again, dan

10. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

3000 psi to start with is 3000 psi, doesnt matter if it comes from tanker or scuba tank thats all you will get in the little bottle :D