FED tire/rims sizes

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Carver Speed, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Carver Speed

Carver Speed New Member

New 225 in. car/driver, mild BBC, blown alky, what tires to run and on how wide of a rim? Not racing, just running the car for fun. Will fit in NE II
    Thanks for the insight and experience.
    Jeff

2. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

When I ran my 225in FED with a blown big block chevy I tried to run the same tire and wheel size as on my RED 4-link car....16x16 with a 34.5x16 in. tire. Shook my brains out. J Ed Horton at Horton race cars, who built the car, told me to run a smaller tire and wheel. Tried a 15x15 with a hooiser 33x14.5x15 Jegs no. 18367c07 and it worked alot better.Needed the smaller tire to get wheel speed up with all of the rear end weighjt that a FED has. Hope this helps.

3. FEDowner

FEDowner Member

I'll check mine later today for you. Also post his on ANRA.com

4. FEDowner

FEDowner Member

33 x 12 x 15

5. Carver Speed

Carver Speed New Member

33 x 12 x 15

Thanks, what rim width is that tire on?

6. chutedragger

chutedragger Member

Ran a 33X14" -15" rim, tall growth on a 14" wide American Bead lock. Behind our small block in A fuel, behind a powerglide with a 3500- 4000 stall. With the 6.97 tune up...if I used the trans brake right on the stall, it would shake the tires at 60 feet. At 7.5 lbs, it would hit the tire so hard and wrinkle up...it didnt have the power to stay up on the tire (keeping in mind it was running high sixes! at 1800 lbs!!!) Had no clutch to soften it...so I would hold the car with the trans brake bring the revs up to about 3000, and let the brake go with the foot going to the floor, kind of like a TAD. The car would squat on the tire and stay up through the pass. Best 60' we would ever get, and never shakes the tire, and easy on parts.

7. FEDowner

FEDowner Member

I believe it's a 10" rim, are you running the Heritage Series?

8. Carver Speed

Carver Speed New Member

Fed

We are building the car to fit the rules for NE II, I don't know yet what program I will run it it, for now I will be happy if I can make some clean runs, get a license and have some fun at the Nostalgia events, there isn't alot of FEDs here in the northeast to be competitive with.