Dry Sump Tank In Rear

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TOL, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TOL

TOL Active Member

Would a person be allowed to put the dry sump oil tank in the rear of a Pro Mod, bulk-headed (isolated) from the driver's compartment of course?

Just going over some general mass juggling ideas at this end. Nothing locked in stone yet.

Thanks.

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

Lot of G force trying to keep oil away from the motor.

3. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

What would be your reasoning? I see some people have moved on from the Mcamis style tank and back to a round Peterson or moroso style tank again.

4. TOL

TOL Active Member

Mass balance/position..... Trans Am cars routinely have the dry sump at the rear for similar reasons and space issues.

5. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Put it up front. Fuel cells used to be in the rear of the car as well, and as they got faster, it was harder for the pump to overcome the G-force. Now just about everything has a cell in the front and the G’s help feed the pump inlet. An old top fuel racer told me that he used to see positive pressure on the inlet tubing, just below the pump. Little to no oil pressure will wreck your engine just as good as little to no fuel...

The other reason to have the stuff in the front is weight distribution. You can put the puke tank in the rear, that just makes sense. If it overfills/leaks, it’s already behind the tires.

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

Yeah, trying to get weight off the nose....... Maybe I should lose 30 pounds too ! :(

7. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

What’s your percentages? I like to start at 52 and work up from there depending on the track conditions. I think the days of 50/50 bias are over.

8. aj481x

aj481x Member

Peterson is a great tank.

9. TOL

TOL Active Member

I don't know yet Rob...........

I'm at the really really really rough guesstimating stage right now. McAmis built this thing originally with the engine out 94". I can't imagine the front/rear ratios being pretty, especially when I put my combo in it.

When we redo things I'd like to see the engine back at least another 6", and down lower. Been thinking of ways to get stuff/weight off the nose. Drysump tank was one thought that came to mind. Good point was made about the G-forces. Not too many road race cars pull G's like these things do. Will have to think about that.

The only good news is that on the flip side of the coin I've got lots of space out back for "stuff" and I can also get the wing way back from the rear axle with a great lever moment. The good comes with the bad I guess. I'm trying not to goof up the stock truck look.

10. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I’d imagine your weight and center of gravity would be on par with one of those 5.3 bore space nitrous engines. Maybe it’s time to do some mock up on the scales and see where your at. You goin clutch or automatic?

11. TOL

TOL Active Member

Quickdrive drive with Lenco.....

12. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Check you PM’s.