Driver Safety Equipment

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by mdwheelz, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mdwheelz

mdwheelz New Member

Hello all, I have a few newbie questions that I hope some of you experienced vets can answer for me. I have been driving an 8 second door car for a while and I will soon begin licensing for TAFC racing. I wanted to know what driver safety equipment changes I will need to make, and any reccomendations on models and manufacturers.

Helmet (Fresh Air Required?)
    Driving Suit (# of Layers etc)
    Are the Heavy 5 Layer Boots required?
    Arm Restraints?

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. DQUES

DQUES Member

You can add a Hans device to that list , required in 07 .

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Yes on the fresh air helmet, a level 20 firesuit, yes on arm restraints, Yes on the funny car boots. The safety gear is spendy but it is your butt that it is protecting.

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

safety items are probably one of the most over looked items. when i started driving i was required to have a sfi 15 suit. i bought a 20. please do not cut any corners what so ever in this area. buy the best of everything that you can get, don't settle for anything less. it is your butt in that seat......is it really worth trying to save a few hundred bucks here or there? not for me it isn't. i use all stroud equipment, they are very good to deal with and very reasonable on prices. i truly love my equipment, but if i were buying it all over again i would go to impact. the new carbon-x material is exactly what i would have. i'm sure that most manufacturers use it now, that stuff is unreal.
    you need the heavy boots and gloves, 20 suit( i like the built in arm restraints ) fresh air helmet( make sure it's snell 2005 ), and a HANS device. i prefer the HANS over the others. hope this helps

5. mdwheelz

mdwheelz New Member

Thanks for all the info so far. Yes I couldnt agree more about not cutting any corners. I want to buy the right stuff the first time.

6. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

I second that! I have an Impact suit, shoes and helmet and it is awesome stuff! The helmet is VERY light and fits really well. The material they use on their suits is so light and thin that I thought they sent me the wrong one!! Very comfortable! Also, I got a Hans device back in '05 and it is actually more comfortable than the old donut neck collars. I highly recommend the Hans and they too are VERY helpfull and nice people to work with.

7. mdwheelz

mdwheelz New Member

Which model impact helmet do you use. I notice they have helmets with side intake air and top intake. I dont know which will be better for clearance and comfort issues.

8. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

I have the Draft model. It doesnt have a fresh air system but I'm sure I could retro fit one when the time comes.

9. flash

flash top alcohol

fire suit & helmet

what size are you? I have almost new phoenix custom apparelsfi-20 red 2 piece fire siut for sale-with arm restraints made in to the arms,simpson fresh air helmet-size 7-5/8 with custon paint job on it-flames!plus large simpson black boots as well.let me know-Eddie Mcdow 817-832-4768
    size on suit-5 ft 11inch tall 42 waist

10. KMS

KMS New Member

Contact www.Nitroradios.com Ask for Brad or Mark. They can hook you up with a Bell Helmet and install the Nitro speakers in the helmet for you ( if run a two way radio) if you dont, they can hook you up with one of those to. They also offer fresh air bottle kits as well. Then ask them about the R3 saftey device required for 07. The best thing about them is they are at the IHRA National events for tech support.

11. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

mdwheels: There's a reason nearly all the pros use Impact---it's Bill Simpson. He's the best; he invented the stuff; he still has the neatest most up to date stuff and it's really comfortable. We do cats and so does Bill, so I've talked with him extensively. Nobody can do for you what he can. Have them put the torch to some of the competitors fabrics while you're holding them, then try his stuff. You feel a lot less heat and can go longer without feeling it with Impacts' stuff. Once you've done that, you won't go anywhere else. He made a believer out of me and I'm glad.

12. mdwheelz

mdwheelz New Member

Thanks for all of the great info, it sounds like everyone really likes the impact products.