Demke in Search of Elusive First Kansas Nationals Win

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 17, 2016.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

TOPEKA, Kans. (May 17, 2016) – Former Top Alcohol Dragster world champion Chris Demke and his Maddern Racing team are more than ready to dust off the cobwebs after over a month off since their last race. The SoCal team is making the tow out to Heartland Park Topeka for the NHRA Kansas Nationals, May 20-22, a race where Demke has been to the finals four times in his career.

“I have been to the final round and lost at Topeka more times than I want to talk about. The fact that the track wasn’t on the schedule at the beginning of the season had our team bummed. We usually go to this race but we’ve never been able to win the national event. For as many times as we’ve been here, I would’ve expected that record to be better. We’re excited to have at least one more chance to win a national event Wally at Topeka,” Demke said.

The Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products team’s strategy isn’t complicated. They’re just going to keep doing what they’ve been doing. It seems to be working, as Demke has been to the final round at the last two of his three races in 2016.

“We’ll just try to continue the momentum,” Demke admitted. “The team is itching to get back to the track. Our last race was the Vegas regional, which was postponed due to rain. We were scheduled to go to Houston but pulled out because of what looked to be bad weather. Topeka was the next race on the list so that’s where we’re headed.

“We’ve laid down some incredible numbers this season, we’re just lacking consistency. With Jerry Maddern setting the strategy and Kevin Watson implementing the tactics, I think it’s just up to me to drive the car to the finish line. I think everything is lining up for us.”

Competing with Demke for the Kansas Nationals Wally will be a full field of strong competitors, including local legend Randy Meyer, who stepped out of the driver’s seat this season to tune his daughter, Megan, to a win and two runner-up finishes in her rookie season.

“I’ve been keeping track of the entry list.” Demke noted. “It’s looking like a 50/50 split for blown cars and A/Fuel cars, which is rare these days. Megan has been entered for some time, but Randy just recently entered. I was actually happy to see that because when Randy is in one of his cars it distracts him from tuning his other car. I think it helps everyone else when he’s in the seat. Hopefully he doesn’t go out first round and give all of his attention to Megan’s car. We’ll see how it plays out.”

Top Alcohol action at the NHRA Kansas Nationals, May 20-22, kicks off with qualifying sessions at 3:30 and 6 PM on Friday. A final qualifying session is scheduled for noon on Saturday, followed by first round of eliminations at 3 PM. Eliminations continue bright and early Sunday morning with second round set for 9:30 AM.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Kevin Watson, Aimee Maddern, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, Robert Hadaller, and Ryan Miller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.Facebook.com/MaddernRacing.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, Motorsports Unlimited, VP Racing Fuels, and Morningwood Energy Drink.