Demke Claims Meaningful U.S. Nationals Victory

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Sep 3, 2014.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Demke Claims Meaningful U.S. Nationals Victory

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (Sept. 3) – After multiple close attempts at the biggest race of the year, NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster driver Chris Demke can finally call himself a U.S. Nationals champion. He won the event as a crew member in the past. Demke, the current national points leader, has won races from California to Florida and everywhere in between, but a win as a driver at the prestigious “Big Go” has eluded him to this point.

“Our team won the U.S. Nationals in 1998 with Darren Nicholson driving, and that was huge. It was our second race win ever and our first national event win. I won then as a crew member but I've always wanted to win it as a driver. I knew with our car's recent performance that we always had a chance. We struggled a little – struggled is a relative term – but in the end the Wally is ours. It's an incredible feeling; indescribable,” Demke exclaimed.

Demke qualified the Peen Rite/OSI/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster in the fourth position, running 5.375, 5.323 and 5.331 elapsed times during the rain-plagued qualifying sessions.

“We struggled in qualifying,” Demke claimed. “From anyone else's perspective we did great, but I'm getting cocky and I'm just not happy with number four qualifier. The car was very consistent but it wasn't fast enough. We'd turn one knob and the the car would run a thirty-two. We'd turn another knob and the car would run a thirty-three. Finally we turned all of the knobs on kill for the semifinals and the car ran a twenty-eight. At that point I was satisfied with the car's performance.”

Eliminations at the 60th Annual Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals started with a close 5.328 to 5.340 race against David Brounkowski. Chris achieved top speed of the event in the second round, clicking off a 5.339 at 272 MPH to beat Shawn Cowie's 5.402. The run of the weekend, however, came in the semifinals, when Demke powered to a 5.281 victory over Brainerd winner Randy Meyer. The Maddern Racing machine had its worst run of the weekend in the final round, a tire-smoking 5.80, but opponent Rich McPhillips left too early with a red light, handing the win to Demke.

“After the semifinals the computer data made it clear that the 5.28 was on the ragged edge. We should have backed it down for the final, but hindsight is 20/20. I didn't know that McPhillips red-lit until about half-track where I felt like I hit the wall twice and crossed the center line a few times. When I got the car settled down, I looked up and noticed my win light was already on. We're lucky that McPhillips red-lit or he probably would have won. It's not how I expected to win, but I'll take it,” recalled the popular driver.

The U.S. Nationals win is Demke's third national event win of the 2014 season, adding to his recent string of four regional event wins. With his national points scorecard already maxed out on claimable regional wins, national event wins like this are important to the Maddern Racing chase for their first national championship.

“I padded my points lead. I haven't locked it (the national championship) up yet but I'm having the greatest year of my career. I'm really looking forward to my next few races,” Demke concluded.

Chris Demke and the Peen Rite/OSI/Boost Performance Products Top Alcohol Dragster team will head to Charlotte, N.C. next for the Pep Boys NHRA Carolina Nationals at zMax Dragway, September 12-14.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Operational Solutions/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Operational Solutions Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, and Morningwood Energy Drink.