Demke Chasing Fifth NHRA Winternationals Victory

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Feb 10, 2016.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

POMONA, Calif. (February 10, 2016) – Just as he finished last season, Chris Demke will kick off this 2016 season at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona with his usual positive demeanor. The Circle K NHRA Winternationals, February 11-14, is a big race for Demke and his Maddern Racing team, who have won the season-opening race in four of the last six years. It’s a clean slate; everyone’s first stop in the pursuit of the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Top Alcohol Dragster world championship.

“The Winternationals is always an important race because it’s the first race of the season. If you can do well here, it gives your team great momentum going in to the early part of the season. Fortunately for our team, we’ve won the Wtinernatiaonls the last two years and four total. I have great memories at the Winternationals. My first national event win was at the 50th anniversary Winternationals in 2010. It’s the race where I’ve had the most success,” said Demke, who lives nearby in Valencia.

Demke and the Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products team are coming off of a second-place finish in LODRS national points in 2015. The season started strong with a victory at the Winternationals, but the season finale left something to be desired.

“Last season ended on a bad note with an ignition problem that cost me first round against Johnny Ahten. We just did some testing in Las Vegas with the primary goal of making sure we fixed that problem. Testing went well, and I feel that we’re ready for the new season,” Demke claimed.

The state of the Top Alcohol Dragster class going into this season is very similar to what it looked like as the season wrapped up at the Auto Club Finals last November. Don’t expect much of a difference in the hard-charging, fun-loving attitude of the Peen Rite team either.

“There are a few new players in the class. No major rule changes. A couple new drivers and teams, as well as a lot of the same strong players that have been there in the last couple years. It’s always interesting to see how things shake out early on. As I always say, I just want to go out and have fun, but winning is pretty fun,” Demke laughed.

There will be one major change in the personnel side of things at Maddern Racing, as clutch guy and tuner Adam Rhoades has accepted a new position with a Top Alcohol Funny Car team.

“As most everybody has heard, Adam Rhoades will be leaving the team. He was with us at testing and will be with us at Pomona as we transition his duties to other team members. Certainly our beer budget will drop,” Demke joked. “His departure is amicable. He found a great opportunity and I understand why he’s taking that opportunity. Our relationship will remain strong. It’s a good decision for him and I can’t contest that. I’m gonna’ miss the guy. He’s not only my friend, he’s also a great racer and our team will miss his presence. However, our team already has a lot of skill and I’m sure we’ll be able to maintain the level of performance that we’ve had in previous years.”

Aside from the departure of Rhoades, the crew member line-up will remain the same with team owner Jerry Maddern at the helm. The team’s proven supercharged, methanol-burning Brad Anderson powerplant will stay in place, as will the team’s sponsors.

“I’m happy to renew my sponsorship agreements with Boost Performance Products and Hoosier Racing Tires. I’m grateful that they both continue to see value in our team representing their products.”

Chris Demke’s 2016 season will officially kick off when Top Alcohol Dragster qualifying session number one begins on Thursday at 4 PM Pacific. Another session is scheduled for 2:15 PM on Friday with a final qualifying session at 11 AM on Saturday. First round of eliminations will follow at 2:15 PM. Eliminations continue on Sunday following the first round of Pro eliminations.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.Facebook.com/MaddernRacing.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Hoosier Racing Tires, Morningwood Energy Drink, and Motorsports Unlimited.