Defending TAD National Champ Chris Demke Enters Pomona with Teammate

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Feb 4, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Defending TAD National Champ Chris Demke Enters Pomona with Teammate

POMONA, Calif. (February 4) – This weekend kicks off the 2015 NHRA drag racing season with the Circle K NHRA Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona. For the first time in his decade-long driving career, Chris Demke enters the season as the defending NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster world champion.

“It's exciting, a little nervous,” Demke said of the position he's in. “I feel I pretty much have a target on my back but I'm ready to pick up where we left off last year.”

To aid in their title defense, Demke and the Maddern Racing team will field a second blown alcohol dragster at their first two races, the Winternationals and the Phoenix regional event. Demke will continue to drive the championship Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products Car. Alaska's Ray Martin, who finished fourth in TAD national points in 2013, will drive the experimental “X” car.

“When the world championship team calls you to drive their second car, you say yes,” Martin said. “Whatever happens during that time or after is what it is. We're just going to have fun and go some rounds. Thanks to Maddern Racing. It's a great group of guys and it's just awesome to be a part of this, especially because of who they are and what they've accomplished. We're really happy and proud to be a part of it.”

Adding another car can be a daunting task, but a few key factors will help ease the challenge for the SoCal team.

We're using Clint Thompson's Top Alcohol Funny Car crew to work on it, so it's an experienced group. I think more it's the challenges of trying to tune and manage two cars through the course of the weekend. We're just going to have fun and try to go with it.

“I'm glad the schedule is the way it is. We get one run on Thursday and one on Friday afternoon. We have plenty of time between those runs to get both cars properly set up. There won't be a rush the first two days of qualifying, which is optimal,” Demke remarked.

The tuning responsibilities will be shared amongst the team. Adam Rhoades will continue to focus on the ignition timing and clutch and transmission set-up. Demke will decide the fuel system settings. They intend to stick with what they know on the championship car while experimenting with the “X” car.

“(Team owner) Jerry Maddern has put together some good, solid engine combinations for both cars. They're not identical. We're trying some stuff in the X car that we've never used previously. Nothing too extreme yet, though,” Demke added.

The 2014 U.S. Nationals winner experiences a range of emotions at the start of any season, but especially this one, ranging from excited to nervous. He realizes the season-opening race doesn't decide the rest of the season or the final outcome.

“If you look at how last year went, our team dominated the first race and then we struggled through the next four races. So it's hard to say. I don't think the first race can really set the tone. It's a long season. That first event is really just everyone getting their feet wet and ready for this year. It looks like there are 20 cars entered, which I think is a good way to start the season. There's a lot of participation and I think everyone will go out and give it their best shot.”

Top Alcohol Dragster qualifying at the Circle K NHRA Winternationals, Feb. 5-8, starts at 4 PM Thursday and continues with sessions at 2:15 PM Friday and 11:15 AM Saturday. Eliminations start at 2:30 PM on Saturday and resume with second round on Sunday afternoon.

Maddern Racing is a family-owned and operated NHRA Top Alcohol Dragster team based in Southern California. The team's Chris Demke-driven Peen Rite/Boost Performance Products blown alcohol dragster is owned by Jerry Maddern and crewed by Adam Rhoades, Kevin Watson, Mike Demke, Greg Rice, Ron Mann and Robert Hadaller. For more information on Chris Demke and Maddern Racing, please visit www.MaddernRacing.com.

Maddern Racing receives support from the following companies: Peen Rite Inc., Boost Performance Products, B-G Detection, Afco, LA X-Ray, Jet-Lube, Denali Concrete and Morningwood Energy Drink.