Cryogenic Treatment

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Rusty Kramer, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Have any of you guys had any Cryogenic treating done to engine or driveline parts. Please let me know if you have and what it has done for the life cycle of the part.

Thanks for your help!

2. DHE

DHE New Member

Sorry Rusty, I can't tell you anything about cryogenic treatment, but I use vibratory treatment on the blocks I manufacture. It reduces the stress in the castings.

3. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

I agree , the Metal - Lax stress relieving is the proven way to go . used by NASA . We have even stress relieved the chassis' by vibration and particle alignment . Rods, pins crankshafts all last longer with less physical sign of wear .

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

les,

i think every alky car gets enough 'vibration' treatment from tire shake to be stress relieved.. :D

so how many more runs are you getting out of rods and pistons with this? our problem with pistons is we run the big wrist pin and it cracks in the inner webbing in the middle b/t the skirt and pin. it does this at around 17-24 runs. what about rods? what brand?

how much does this cost?

5. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Will , we do not see any cracking or galling in the pistons and the pins have been used in excess of 60-80 runs and some with the same pistons in different motors . We change the rods (B2) out of routine now at 20-25 runs and the pins slide out of the pistons like the day they went in, we have measured the big and small ends and they haven't moved . The crankshafts we check at 20-25 runs when we do the rods and it then stays in that block again for another cycle , but it is checked each time we take the pan off which is every 4 rounds (yes after all qualifiers then after eliminations!). We ran an average ET of 5.84 with a roots blower and 13 5.70's (never burning a piston) so its not like it was never put to task . The motor parts I believe will increase in durability and life expectancy with the METAL LAX stress relieving . Keep in mind when any motor is happy the life expectancy is higher! Please become informed , type in METAL LAX on most search engines and read the results listed its not a hoax !