crower clutch setting

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by JNR, Jul 10, 2003.

1. JNR

JNR TA/FC

I would like to know to set a 10,7 crower clutch in a TA/FC.
    526 cid/whipple/1,88 lenco/4,30 ratio/34,5-17-16/
    2280 pounds.
    For the first outing we start with 40 grams total
    (THICK ARMS) and 2 turns (750 lbs)static 5 psi on
    tires with liner 4200 rpm at stage.
    I hit tire shake from starting line on a well prepared track then we took all weigt out.
    The 2nd outing 4800 rpm at stage starts much better with minor tire shake 1,311 60 ft (GRANYS OLDS)
    I have talk to crower and they told me to change the arms to thinner ones with 15-18 grams total and start from there.

best regards
    JR

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

sounds like you got way too much low gear. i would guess you probably need like a 1.64-1.68 in there. with a 1.88 you are probably not going to be able to get enough clutch out of it. then you'll have everything so backed down to get it off the line it will run like a pooch.

maybe some people that have ran fc w/ whipple may have better idea, but your low gear ratio would be the first thing i changed.

3. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

How are you getting away with running a Whipple anyway? Are you running outlaw stuff?
    Just curious...

4. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Just noticed you are in Germany that answers my question. Never mind...

5. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Be carefull not to over look the rest of the combination. Try richening the fuel system. You could be too lean. Or use softer discs. Are you new to the clutch or the car? After the shake where the bearings ok?

6. bernie

bernie New Member

Will Hanna is right with his gear ratio recomend.
    Ignore Crower as any setting given will be for US quality trax and lets face it unless you are at Santa Pod you ain't even near. Take out a bit of base and try to fatten it a bit to start. One thing is for sure if it's a funny it's gonna shake some where or the motors dead. Been there still got head ache. E mail Leif Helander at Starkotter racing in Sweden he's got more Whipple experience than anyone and may help and now he's on nitro it shouldn't be as much of a secret.

7. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Defintely lower your low gear ratio. Here in the states we run somewhere from 1.60 to a 1.72 depending on the track conditions.

8. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

I would stay with the clutch you have and try some different tranny ratios. Just remember, a 5% tranny ratio change is a big step. Why not try a low 1.80 or a high 1.70. That's a steep change alone. I'd hate to see you go out there and murder the thing with a 1.60 low. A little less counter weight may not hurt either.

Have you tried to leave higher? I personally am not into this sissy leave the startingline at 4800 rpm stuff. I'd start at 5500 and work your way up.

I'm not a funny car guy, but a 1.311 60 footer is pretty weak. Some of your shake could be tune up related.

I hope you have a data recorder. If not, go buy one before you do anything else.

9. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Bah! Data Recorder? What is that? LOL We don't run one on our TAD, sure it would be nice, but very expensive to us low-buck racers...we like to stick to reading plugs & bearings... and as long as we've got a good initial setup for the specific track, it seems to be working for us!

10. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

The more low buck you are, the more you need one of those things. Our Autometer Data Recorder has more than paid for itself.

[ September 10, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: T.Smith ]

11. Gerry Woz

Gerry Woz Comp Eliminator

Nathan;

A data recorder is worth it's weight in gold...it will help dispell all those preconcieved notions about what RPM the driver is leaving the line at, the true shift points..blower boost...etc...etc.( helps even to see if they lift early or drive it too long past the finish line)...just way too many good reasons to have one of some kind...as a result your tune-up will advance much quicker and you will be able to "see" why and save the data for future references...the driver will also be able to use this information to better his driving skills...a driver will tell you he "Hung-out" first to half track, let's say for example; but the computer will probably indicate something much different, most likely far sooner...now you can really evaluate the run not based upon conjecture, but facts....have fun [​IMG]

12. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Gerry,

I never said they weren't a great idea, and I totally agree with you, we'd more than love to have one but it just hasn't been in our budget for the past few years. Sometimes though when a computer gives you too much information you start to get lost in the data rather than what your plugs and/or bearings read. We did run a RAcePak on one of our cars about 3 years ago for a few seasons, and found that it really did help out...and then the too much information thing kicked in and we just had to go back to square one.