crower"10"

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ta455, Sep 26, 2005.

1. ta455

ta455 Member

Hello! we are running a 10" 2 disc pedal clutch with the thin bolts (1/2 or 9/16..don't remenber)in a 2600 lbs car.don't want to change but some people say we have to because the clutch cant't take any more power and we are going up in cu/in next year.Our best this year was 0,98 "60" 4,08 1/8 mile
    and 6,47 1/4 mile with a 426 kb/dart on alky.Do we have to change it?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Do you have a data logger? If so is the clutch slippage where you want it? If so then with your 60 fts I would say your clutch is still holding OK. Are you max'd out on turns on base?

A three disk clutch is more forgiving in tuning but doesn't give you anymore clamping power than a two disk. The total force is the same. They use the same springs and levers. A 10.5" gives you more clamping power than a 10" because it has more holding area.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Mike
    not sure i agree with your thoughts of bigger disc equals more clamping force
    in fact it is just the opposite
    you can apply more force on a smaller square inch area with the same spring
    this is not hydraulics but spring pressure

now maybe you can apply more pressure on a larger disc, but if this was the case we would all still be running th 11" stuff

4. BLOWN INCOME

ONE BIG DIFFERENCE IS THE BIGGER DISC IS MORE FORGIVING ON THE TUNE UP, IF IT'S OFF SOME AND IF THE CLUTCH SETTING ISN'T JUST RIGHT..

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

John, the understanding I had was the large disk 10.5 or 11 vice 10")allows more area to be held (clamped) by the applied force so it will take more power to make it start slipping. It would be the same thing as putting larger front brake pads on the same diameter brake rotor. With the same pedal force you are now applying the same clamping force over a larger area so the better the stopping power.

6. ta455

ta455 Member

thank you for all the answers,but what i wonder if only 6 stands on such small bolts will break.Some other clutches have 9 stands.