converter in /out dump pressures info

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blownapex, Dec 21, 2019.

1. blownapex

blownapex Member

i need help with a lenco drive dump
    or a turbo 400 would be a good comparison on pressures and rpm

im a budget promod racer (midwest promod) 70%od screw noonan /brad hemi nxs 32/35 1.48 1st 4 speed 5.14 gear 32.5 housier tire 2425lbs

how much rpm will this change on the run when opened to control driveshaft rpm

1- too much ds rpm loosen it and pull timing??

2- mine pulls rpm down at 1.2 and shakes after a .920 60' so instead of changing converter or 1 st gear i want to dump and loosen converter???

charge pressure in seems more effective . out pressure would be to tighten if you blocked it

how about someone post up some rpm/g meter/voltage/dump charge pressure /and cooler line dump data from racepak

or send me a racepak graph of all these pressures and data

im getting ready to attempt this but have no idea what pressures do what to rpm and delays

also when you dump pressure to make it looser how long does it take to recover or do we need a accumulator to dump a large volume back in converter (im talking about the charge in ) to tighten up quicker

(tuterow used some type of accumulator on the ty drive????)

im going to try this on my lenco drive on my transmission dyno

also i want to leave tight then loosen at 1-1.5 second then tighten the rest of run

im willing to pay for info if i have to but i want to do the mods on my dyno

i will need a couple good high flow high temp dump valves

thanks for any info i can try

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I ran a th400 deal with dump on the outlet of the top cooler line that dumps back to the rear servo cover or whatever that is. Everyone says it takes x amount of seconds to see it and I was talking to one of the promod teams at the Yellowbullet nationals that had the wiring mixed up earlier in the year and they were inadvertently turning the dump on and they weren’t seeing it until close to the finish line. They were running a quick drive. I’m thinking that the quickdrive and lenco drive are less sensitive to the external converter dump due to either the valve body or the passages that lead out of the case. Anyways on the th400 I see a pressure drop almost immediately on the converter pressure feed. I only used it a couple of times. When we were no prepping I was using it through low gear for a bit. When we were on a good track I used it a couple times. The converter seemed a little too tight and the engine would roll over a tad. The timing was already in so I opened it through there to keep the engine up a bit, which gave me a few more pounds of boost through that area and cleaned that dip up. As far as performance goes, I’d say it was probably about the same, not a huge difference either way, but I really didn’t play around with it that much either.

Random notes:

I’m pretty sure the accumulator on the ty drive is for the lockup apply, they blow air on one side and the fluid on the other side locks up the converter. That way it’s semi adjustable.

If you were to restrict the outlet side of the converter by pinching that off or plugging it more so than how it comes from the factory, you will blow out a seal or the oring that seals the two half’s of a converter.

I don’t like the way the Lenco Drive valve body is situated, I don’t like how it regulates pressure for the main line or the converter circuit.