carbs on a blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 3-D, Nov 20, 2010.

1. 3-D

3-D Member

has anyone run them on a blower and what is the largest size blower you can run with them. I have (2) 1200 cfm alky carbs. been injection and don't want to do that, want to run carbs. fast bracket racing

2. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

carbs

I don't remember the last time I saw a fast carberated blower car. I remember guy's trying it years ago, but not lately. I can't imagine trying to keep it consistent. If you already ran a injected set-up, why would you want to change? Fuel pump , regulators weight, and more weight. Don

3. 3-D

3-D Member

i want to change because of drivability. you can't do that with the injector. It uses way too much fuel. I know of several that run in the 6.60 range with carbs on 8-71's. I just wanted the opinions on sizes. like i said in my post, not here to debate injection vs carbs.

4. A312

A312 New Member

Hey 3-D! I've run a single dominator carb on a BBC with a B&M 250 Powercharger on methanol. It was deadly consistent! Easy starting and driving. Don't know why it couldn't be done on a larger scale blower with two carbs. This was a 468 flat tappet motor, dish pistons, good chevy rods, and chevy steel crank. Twelve pounds of boost. It ran a best of 4.80 in the 1/8. Cheap and was very dependable to boot! There are a few bracket racers out there that are running larger blowers with carbs. The fastest I think I've seen is 4.20's.

5. 3-D

3-D Member

carbs on blower

can you run a 12 or 14-71 with carbs and just not spin it as fast? would that make it more efficient, or would it be best to stick with a 8 or 10-71?

6. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Don't know if would be more efficient (like building boost as quickly at lower rpm) but it would run cooler, just something to think about since you sound like you may have fairly fast turnaround. The physical aspect of running two dominators would be more favorable on a 10 thru 14 as the top opening, at least for old school blowers is 15 1/4" as opposed to 13 1/4" on 6's and 8's. Not a huge difference but I always thought that most carb adapters I've seen for the smaller opening were butt-ugly because of the way they had to be spaced for clearance between the carbs. But hey, that's just me.... :D

7. moparchris440

moparchris440 Member

Here is my old combo: 588 hemi 1471 stand helix on Alcohol 2 quick fuel 1150 dominators with the main jets removed and a mechanical fuel pump making 20 lbs of boost, it ran 8.00 at 3800 lbs in a pick up truck street driven. In the end I needed to add extra fuel through a little injection system I made up with a electric pump, regulator, and some nos fogger nozzles with .030 jets in each port plumed to the fuel tank activated by a micro switch on my second gear shift. Worked great!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010