bore finish for hell fire rings

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by fastfiat, Jan 18, 2010.

1. fastfiat

fastfiat New Member

anyone no if the final bore finish the same for hell fire as moly.

2. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

NO!!!
    280 finish for hellfire and Akerly & Childs HTD rings.
    If you run them with a 400 finish like a moly, they WILL NOT SEAT CORRECTLY!!!

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Assuming you've had experience with the 400 moly finish while using Hellfire rings, what were some of the symptoms? oil on plugs, smoke out the exhaust, dyno doesn't show the HP, etc

4. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

What you have mentioned are very common, but not as much oil as you would think. Plus blowby creating high crankcase pressures, high leakdown numbers, and much smaller than standard leakdown variation from cold to hot. And probably the worst of all is a major dropoff of the engine peak torque numbers.
    A few of the ring manufacturers are getting so upset over people having troubles and badmouthing these ring sets, they are starting to staple warnings to the ring bag themselves, and steering some people away from them in applications other than the truly severe. But you get them babies to really seal and they are a thing of beauty!!! :D

5. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

On one of the other boards I frequent there was a post saying that the hellfire is hard on cylinder walls and when I asked what he meant he said they are really easy on their engine they only make a couple of hard nitrous passes, its mostly street driven :eek: The guy could not understand why a hard ring with gas ports and a vacuum pump would eat the cylinders on a street app... gives you a feel for what the manufacturers are up against.

6. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

I am amazed some times at how if some part is better for some odd combination, then it needs to be put in everything, because it is just "Better!" Is common sense really that uncommon any more?
    I had someone bring me an engine that was not running to his expectations. He had everything for a trick deal, and his '1000 horsepower' mill couldn't muster 550 hoursepower. Too big a head for the rpm, cubic inch, and boat style. A cam that was the biggest one on the given page. Hellfire rings for his deal, and the biggest induction ever. He was really depressed when a pump gas 454 with cast iron head that I just pulled off the dyno made over 150 ft lbs and 80 horsepower more than his.
    And yes, Hellfire rings will make LESS horsepower than a moly or similar in a fairly standard application. They are for extreme duty deal ONLY!!

7. aj481x

aj481x Member

Good questions

8. fastfiat

fastfiat New Member

Thanks for the responce. Block is already back from machine shop with 400 finish. We'll use the plasma-moly rings as we have in the past but would be interested to here from someone that has switched from moly to hell fire and if thay saw a difference in performance or leak down. We run a 370 inch sbc blown alky combo with 15-18# boost. Leak after break-in is about 8-10%. No different with total seal so we stoped using them.

9. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

Fastfiat, with the deal you are running & boost, I cant see any advantage going to the Hellfire. Just stick with the Moly.