Blown alky SBC EGT's

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by AlsopRacing, Jan 31, 2010.

1. AlsopRacing

AlsopRacing New Member

I've just installed an RPM Performance data logger on my 388 cube blown and alcohol injected SBC. Can anybody out there give me any indication of EGT readings that are getting in the 'dangerous' zone. I've heard anything from 1200 to 1600.

The pyrodes are the recommended (approx) 2" away from the exhaust ports - apparently the distance away can effect what's safe on one engine compared to another... understandably closer to where the action is will read hotter!

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

1200 to 1600* is for a gasoline motor on nitrous unless you plan on launching your alcohol motor to the moon.

The safe high is 1050*F but I would recommend doing it in stages. First take them to 900-950 then balance the EGTs so they are all within 50* of each other then push it up to 1050* while reading the plugs. When you get to 1050* look closely at the plugs and make sure they all read the same and if not balance the port nozzles again using plug readings. Any higher that 1080* would require checking the upper rod bearings after each run. I would not go over 1100*F.

You might read this
    http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-alcohol-spark-plugs.html