blown alcohol plugs

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by pop, Nov 20, 2003.

1. pop

pop New Member

iguess no one figured out,i was kind of hoping someone out there actually knew how to read a plug and might be willing to share a little info.

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

pop- what is there to read on a plug firing alcohol with a mag 44? In the old days you could garner info that way- now- it's put in a new plug, read the bearings and the rings if you want to know whats happening in the chamber and check your computer. This is not a smart ass answer, just an honest fact of racing in the 21st century! Gosh I wish we could still run an alki car with 2 guys, an 8-71 and a super mag 2. We could go a whole year on one set of brgs then and we wouldn't change plugs cause we new the 8 in the engine worked fine! What a differance a 1 second improvement in 20 years makes! [​IMG]

3. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Pop, sent you an email about plug reading

Rapid

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

bob, one of the reasons we change plugs every run is so we can read them better..

we take and spray the plug off good with brake clean, then look to see how much cad is left on the part around the inner circle of the plug. also, look how many threads down still has cad. about half the cad left in the inner circle is about right on our deal. no cad its lean, all cad its rich.

we run a r6061-10 NGK with about .016 gap.

good thing about reading the plug vs. reading the computer, the plug tells you what really happened in the chamber. pyrometers can lie.

also, i would probably say 80% of the teams now run the V bearings. they are a hard bearing, and you really can't read them. if i was trying to figure a combo out, i would run the M bearing. after that, the V bearing is nice b/c you don't have to worry about delamination as much.

just my .02

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

I still think that the rings tell the true story about 1000 times better than the plug. just my 2 cents.

6. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Will,

We hurt a few motors pretty bad last season and at the time were running the 'M' bearing, we have since switched to the 'V' and haven't had a problem since then, but we've heard from some people that the 'V' bearings are too hard and will eventually hurt the crank. Have you heard anything about this or experienced it?

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i guess you could say the V bearing is a double bladed sword.

if your tune-up is off, SOMETHING has to give, and it won't be the bearing. at least not as much as a M bearing would. In those cases, I wouldn't blame the bearing, more than likely a detonation problem occurred. The V bearing definitely isn't good for trying stuff in the timing or fuel sys dept.

this is much like a conversation me and lee callaway had a few days ago. we were talking about billet main caps vs. cast because he had broke a few. well, something caused that cap to break, so if the cap doesn't break having a billet cap, what will now?

8. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

The new 6061-10 ngk is very hard to read contrary to the original "gold" plugs . If you are burning the cad off the plugs in a lap you need new plugs every run , but keep in mind the plugs don't have to be missing cadmium to run fast . We run plugs for 4 to 6 laps with out a problem only ever checking 1 or 2 (high egt holes). Will is right install them before you run to try them , shipping and impact hurts them they rarely go bad on a run.

9. Will Hanna

Staff Member

i agree les, i liked the old ones alot better than the new 'silver' ones. i'm still able to get a reading, just have to look harder.

yall coming down to san antonio next year?

10. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Will , We will be in San Antonio weather permitting . We would like to get South for a few test laps on the car but we are not sure whether we would be allowed to race at the Gators, if we get the approval we need we will start there next year then head to San Antonio .
    Visit us when we are in the neighbourhood.