Blower Gear Lube

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, May 15, 2006.

1. funnycarguy 230

What Is The Best Best Way To Go As Far As The Gear Lube For A Blower? I Have Heard That 2 Stroke Oil Is Good, Motor Oil ,80-90w Gear Lube What Do You Run? Need Some Advice 14/71 Hi Helix Thanks To All Jamie

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

We use Valvoline synthetic 80-90 gear oil.

3. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

There Are A Few Choices Regular 80 90 Gear Oil Seems To Be Popular And Plentiful.
    Atf Transmission Fluid Some People Use As It Is Thin And The Theroy Is Takes Less Power To Turn.
    You Can Use A Two Stroke Mix Oil But It Should Be Compatiable With Alch. So If The Blower Or Snout Loses A Seal Detonation Should Not Be As Violent As The Two Stroke Oil Should Try And Mix With The Fuel.
    Some Of The Best Oil I've Seen Is Redline Shock Proof Gear Oil This Stuff Does Not Come Off The Parts It Looks Like Pepto Bismal. All These Lubricants Work Well And I'm Sure There Are More Out There

4. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

JR,

Putting you on the spot :p .

What do you like to use? Or, more to the point, what did you put in mine when you just did it? :)

Rapid

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I know that SSI recommend two stroke oil in their blowers. I have noticaed that is leaves a deposit on the gears and inside of the case.

I have always wondered why racers say that one kind of oil can cause severe detonation if it leaks and another kind will not. It seems to me thatall kinds of oil if leaked into the cylinders is going to cause problems. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

6. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Gear Oil

Randy We Did Regular 80 90 Gear Oil In Your Blower. That Is What We Typically Use It Seems Fail Proof For The Most Part And Economical. Mike I Think The Regular Oils Will Not Mix With The Fuel I Know On Two Stroke Engines That Run On Alch Take A Specific Mix Oil To Blend With The Alch. I Think The Same Would Apply With The Blower. We Need Someone Sharper Than Myself But The Oil Acts As A Lubricant As Well As Takes The Heat Away From The Gears. I Believe On The Gears There Is Also A Certain Amount Of Clearance For The Oil To Do Its Job Some Blowers Have Come In And Had The Gears To Tight And They Will Actually Gall Into One Another. Typical Fix Has Been Valve Grinding Compound On The Gears And Lapped Them In. I Believe The Gear Oil Needs A Certain Amount Of Clearance To Provide Cushion And To Transfer The Heat Away.

7. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

we run the same as in the motor..with no problems lee littlefield told us to run what we run in the motor 50 wt or 60 wt depends on the weather