Block Mount Starters

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by AFC357, Aug 19, 2012.

1. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Had a crappy day yesterday...getting the new ride ready to go to the track and the new MSD starter took a dump (Sat afternoon...no spare):( I was going to put an RCD crank mount on it (Injected Arias FED) but for simplicity (i thought!) I put a MSD block mount on it...I must mention I had to put 24V to it to get enough crankshaft RPM to fire the MSD mag.....I havn't used this type of starter since T/D 13 years ago......What is the "hot ticket" Not looking for the cheap way out...wanting to buy the BEST and not worry about it! Thanks guys, Tim

2. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Meziere makes a really nice piece. Also Spud Miller at FIE makes a box that makes an MSD mag fire at lower rpm, give him a call.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Interesting about the "Spud Box" he did the fuel system so I will call...is the Mez. "compact" enough?? I see they make a 300 for tight applications...assuming the 500 is larger and may not fit?? Any experience out there appreciated...don't want to spend $3,000 on starters to figure it out!

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Tim....i have ran this starter for about 5-6 years now. we have had really good luck with it. 24 volts blown hemi with a roots, msd mag, etc.......i think the gear reduction is a pretty important deal. here are a few pics....i think i got it from the big yellow monster.
    http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/hemialtered378/starter/
    hope this helps,
    Darren

5. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

oil me down

did you figure out the oiling problem?

6. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

YES on the Oiling:cool: Found some small restrictors in the block...I mean SMALL?! Pulled them out and LOTS of oil up there now...maybe too much??! We are working on that....just got to get it started again to figure things out!!

7. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Block mounted starter

We used a MEAN GREEN starter for a very long time on our Hemi. http://www.mean-green.com/

HOWEVER, I need to add that even this starter crapped out after 2 years of use. I now have a RCD blower starter and no issues. Im not sure they make a block mounted blower starter that will last longer than a few years of heavy use. Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. 5081afuel

5081afuel New Member

starter

We ran a block starter on our arias,and I think it was one of those rcd mini starter's. We ran thar deal for 3 yrs and never had a problem. I sold it to a guy and it still works. This was 11 yrs ago

9. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Starter

Hi Uncle Tim,

On Chris's Pro Mod we run the Meziere and only had to do a little clearancing on the oil pan for the hemi. We mounted his to the midplate and it works well. It has outlived a lot of other starters. We tewather the car with 16 or 24 Volts (can't remember) and no troubles. We do have the switch to fire it on the mag and we have to use it.

Hope it all comes together for you Tim, send me a pic or two when you can.
    Trev
    Soldierboy0098@yahoo.com

10. HensonRacing

HensonRacing Member

I use a GPE starter, Made in Edmond Ok, with a rock auto 16 volt battery and this works great. had my share msd starters, no more.

11. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Thanks all, I just got GPE unit, have ti mill the mounting block to get it in the tight spot...then hopefully...THUNDER! Will let ya know how it works out. They told me the way I am doing it will work fine...24V direct to the starter (outboard batteries) and the small 12V in the car to the solenoid

12. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Pics coming at ya Trev

13. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

OK, got the new GPE starter on ...wings the motor MUCH faster than the MSD?! Had to seriousley modify the mounting block, not just the sides but had to take apx .100" off the mounting surface to get the pinion tooth down to .o25" (GPE says .020") Cranking on it sounded much better but still throwws the pinion out then ugly things happen...this is with-out hitting the ignition! Watching the gear when its turned over and it "shudders" back and forth then kicks out after a couple seconds? Pull the plugs (less load) watch it and looks perfect?! We have 24V to the starter, hitting the solenoid with a small (new) Braille battery....Not enought to the Solenoid?????? HELP!! Getting REAL close to putting the RCS off the front!!

14. aj481x

aj481x Member

You need 24v to the solenoid.

15. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Now GPE said 12??!! If more could VERIFY this (or explain) I would do it in a second! Just don't want to wreck another starter!!

16. bandit496

bandit496 Member

For what it is worth, we use 24 volts. The only issue we have had in the past is the contacts in the solenoid will arc and after a lot starts, the contacts might need refreshed. I have done this on high compression NA motors, blower motors, and turbo motors. JW

17. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I may have to try?? Did you ever try 12 and have the problems I am?? Your in MI too?!

18. aj481x

aj481x Member

Our experience with many types of starters is 24v is better. Put a solenoid next to the battery and hook starter button wire to it, then jumper on the starter. Another advantage is that the whole system is "cold" this way, nothing to arc, short out, etc. If the solenoid should fail and lock in starter this shuts everything off. Almost everyone in this for a while has a story about a stuck starter. ;)

19. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

What relay do you guys like for the 24v scenario?

20. aj481x

aj481x Member

The ones sold for robotics are really slick, but truck supply stores have ones that will work.