best blower for 36-44 percent overdrive with a converter

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Soldierboy0098, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

I know the PSI roots is the king of high od but since I've went to a converter it has been suggested that I slow the od down and let the converter do the work. I'm wondering which is best for 36-44 percent od. I can use a stuffer plate in my PSI 2" setback or a DMPE M5. Maybe even an M4.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Trevor Sherwood
    727-364-4368
    Soldierbiy0098@yahoo.com

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Trevor there are some pretty exotic roots blowers available now but prices go up over twenty thousand dollars. So when you say the best blower you should tell us the price range you want to pay. Under ten grand you have the My and Littlefield LB20. Over ten grand you have the M5. Then you get into the over twenty grand super blowers by Chuck Ford, Al Billes and Mike Janis and Troy Critchly.

3. Soldierboy0098

Blowers

Hi Mike,

Not worrying about price right now but I do have a new PSI 2" setback mag cased unit. Just wondering if the M5 is a better blower for that o.d. Not really looking into the Chuck Ford/Critchley deal and I understand that my magnesium case is limited to what can be done.

Going to talk with Jody Stroud about it tonight.

Thanks,
    Trev

4. DQUES

DQUES Member

SSI has been making some very nice blowers for the roots guys .

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Trev, one thing I have learned about roots blowers is that your OD and the size of the top opening, the shape of the shoe and the spacer and hat combination has to match. You can buy the best blower and waste all by mismatching all that. Most great blowers can be made so much better by having somebody in the know that has done extensive testing tell you what you need on top.

6. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Trev buddy, just get that thing on the track and get some seat-time before worrying about rotating the earth!! Your Uncle Tim;)

7. Soldierboy0098

blower

Thanks guys,

Thanks again uncle Tim. Its just the blower is new so if I were going to sell it now would be the time. I'm also looking into matching my hat to my stuffer plate. I'm also looking into a ERD hat spacer vs the stuffer plate. Another reason is that I want the tuning data to remain the same for some time.

You'll be happy to know I may finally have income and the car is very close to being done. Getting the converter very soon. Then its just pushrods, springs, locks, retainers, and an auto shifter.

If all goes well it will debut at the Snowbirds in December. Tim I'll send you a video for proof, lol

Trev

8. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I would love to be there and see the look on your face the first time you fire it.....you will be on cloud 9 for a week! What length puchrods you need?? Ive got HUNDREDS of Mantons laying around!!

9. Soldierboy0098

Tim

Hey Tim, Your invited buddy :)

On the pushrods I dont know yet as I have yet to get my locks and retainers but I'm not sure yours will work as the longblock is the same though I've switched to a special Thacker cam and Manton High Ratio setup w. 1.8 intakes and the HR exh, plus his stands... When I get the heads assembled and get it measured I'll call you. Thanks bud.

Turns out the ERD spacer is a good affordable way to get the blower to pick up at the mid od. Thanks to Carl Speiring and Jody Stroud for doing all the expensive research for me.

Its going to be great but I'll need another firesuit if you have one as yours wont be sanitary enough to recert anymore :) Unless I buy that new SFI Drivers diaper....