bbc crank hub installation

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by altered8, Jul 15, 2010.

1. altered8

altered8 Member

Just wondering how you guys pull the crank hub on a bbc with bearing support. My normal balancer installer isnt long enough to clear the hub snout.Will a 1/2 inch threaded high tensile rod with a spacer and bearing be strong enough to pull the hub on
    Thanks in advance Jason

2. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

We had the same issue, ended up making our own too.

3. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Yep, long piece of ready-rod, couple of washers and a nut, plenty of moly lube on the threads. I used stainless. A bearing would make it smoother. A standard balancer puller can be used to get it off, you just get some more ready-rod and double-nut it for the 3/8"-24 hole in the hub or find some really long bolts. You will also need to machine or grind the part of the tool that seats and pushes against the crank to about .750 so it will fit through the hub.

If the hub is new, make sure you mic the inside first. I had a new RCD crank support hub and it had a .003 taper to the small side and it through me for a loop until I figured it out. Screwed up my tools and wasted a lot of time.

Tom

4. altered8

altered8 Member

Thanks. I will assemble it this weekend.I previously was running a crank hub w/out bearing support. For removal I had a round 2" thick steel plate made with the same bolt pattern as the blower pulleys with a large thread in the centre for a hydraulic puller.
    Jason

5. Milan

Milan New Member

However you make one

I added an old exhaust rotator from a stock BBC cylinder head so there would be less friction at the face of the balancer.

Milan

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

We took a very large fine thread bolt (don't remember the size) and with the lathe extended the threads upto the bolt head. We took a nut and machined a step into it so a throwout bearing pressed on it. On the end of the bolt we machined it way down/threaded it so it screws into the crank. Screw the nut/brg back up close to the bolt head, screw this assembly into the crank and now hold the bolt head while turning the nut, its square, its easy, and its gentle.
    It works really good, until you order a chevy crank with the hemi goodies and that front bolt hole changes size!:eek: