Barn door injector on blown alky motor?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by diamond mill, Dec 17, 2015.

1. diamond mill

diamond mill New Member

Wondering if anyone has tried a barn door injector on a blown alky motor? Combination is a 526 Arias, 14 degree Big Chiefs, 14-71 Littlefield hi helix , clutch Lenco, 2500# door car.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I would guess somebody has but the problem is on a high helix the air enters at a around ~40* angle so the barn door injector would inhibit the air flow. I believe the barn door injector was designed for a standard helix blower where the air entered at a more vertical angle.

3. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

4. kosky racing

Had a barn door on a PSI went 5.31 with it .

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Mike when you say a PSI are you talking about their screw blower or their Roots blower?

6. kosky racing

On a screw

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

i can understand a near vertical injector hat working better on a screw blower especially when you are trying to get up into the less turbulent air above the drivers roll cage as on a rear engine dragster. The incoming air angle on a screw blower is not at that angle as seen on a high helix Roots. My answer was directed towards Diamond Mill's original question pertaining to a 14-71 Littlefield High Helix Roots blower.

8. kosky racing

9. kosky racing

We also held the NHRA record with a hi-helix littlefeild and a barn door.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No doubt that is one heck of an accomplishment but doesn't change the angle of the air entering a high helix Roots blower. There are a lot of injector hat designers and manufacturers that spend a lot of time on a dyno getting the max boost out of their hats and for a Roots blower they are all low and forward to take advantage of that incoming air angle. Of saying that a barn door injector will not work but more boost gained from from the low angle forward ones but they are hard to use on a rear engine dragster.

11. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

In my hat dyno experience it's been pretty eye opening what hasn't changed a thing. Now this is for our combination, our blower opening, RPMs, etc.

I will state some facts;
    -the Barn Door outlet is much larger than most blower inlets, do not bolt it directly to the blower
    -Bill Miller has a dyno specifically for testing blowers and he made his own injector, oddly enough it is similiar to a Barn Door with a adaptor under it, much like the spacer/adaptors you see everywhere nowadays, and a scoop on top
    -I've personally been told of several dyno sessions where the F6 injector has shown some nice gains over the carbon hats (although there are way more carbon hats on engines) and these point the air awfully vertical until you get close to the blower

In my opinion, if you put a Barn Door on, use an adaptor/spacer that fits your blower inlet very well, and you'll have a good performing setup.

If you want the best, you'll need to go to the dyno with your combination and test. Then go to the track and test again.

12. TOL

TOL Active Member

What's an F6 injector?........

13. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Wasn't Bill Miller's dyno testing on a standard helix Roots?

15. diamond mill

diamond mill New Member

Many thanks for all the replies on this subject. Just wanted to make sure the combination wasn't a no no. Not swinging for the fence here. I'd just like to use the parts I have available. Agreed that I need an adapter to neck down the injector outlet. It's a bit larger than the blower inlet, and would help with the airflow inlet angle that Mike C mentions. All makes sense to me. The scoop has a horizontal divider, nicely crafted. I have to wonder if this piece has been in Mike K's hands. It came from the Pittsburgh area, has a Cindrich n Sheetz gold leaf letterd scoop plug.

16. kosky racing

Could have been something we tried made many things over the years surprissingly alot of them did show that there was room for improvement Mike

17. nmro2114

nmro2114 Member

Had a barn door on a 14/71 HH and switched to a B/U picked up 6 lbs of boost

18. swansonhydro

swansonhydro Member

Check this place out and give James a call www.killerrons.com He might be able to give you some advice.