Ashley Force - the next Darien & Meadows driver?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i've heard alot of talk that ashley will drive for darien next year.

from what i have been told, lucas plans to run one more year in the car.

also, ford is ashley's major sponsor. remember that ford nixed the deal on force going T/F.

i just dont see why they dont get her into a tafc. once she got that down, then she could be much more prepared to handle a fuel flopper rather than an a/f.

here's one to think about - castrol and ford team back up with pat austin for 2 car tafc team with ashley behind the wheel of the no. 2 car. now that would be something!

2. Will Hanna

Staff Member

just did some digging. my source, very close to the john force team said the darien deal is 'doubtful' to qoute them.

after thinking about it, it may not be john's style not to own the team. whatever she gets in, he'll probably own it and hire top name tuner.

also, i was told by another very inside source last year that the game plan was for her to spend a year or two making laps in hawley's flopper, then go straight into nitro fc.

stay tuned to ita, we'll have the latest on this story as it happens.

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Although the Ford deal will hold it up, I still think Ashley will be in TF in a few years. Therefore, she'll be running AFD next year or the year after. Not with Darien though, because John will want to own the deal. Any AFD gurus out there willing to take John's money? lol

4. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

Will- you just might be correct with the Austin/Force deal. My source in NHRA had just last week informed me that Walt has been aggresively obtaining info from the NHRA headquarters in reference to the FORD engine. Remember they just sold a VERY NICE racecar to the Gasparellies(SP). HMMMMMMMM interesting.

5. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

Doesn't it seem like it would make more sense to have her drive an A/FD at first since they don't have nitro injected FC. The actual driving procedure would be very close to that of a fuel car, so the learning curve might not be as steep when making the switch. Granted the handling between a dragster and fc are much different.

It seems to me that putting her into a competitive alcohol funny car or blown dragster where you are busy from the time you stage until you pull the chutes, would be a bigger leap than putting her into a competitive A/FD where you pretty much just stab and steer.

Greg Duffield
    GT Motorsports

6. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Excellent info.

Would love to see the WAR team back.

7. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

I had heard of this rumor back at E-town, but when I saw JF on the starting line with the DM car every pass at Seattle? Curious!

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

greg,

driving a nitro fc you're going to be way more busy than driving an a/fd. you have to DRIVE a fc. if she can drive a tafc, she shouldnt have a problem learning how to put it on the high side. darrell russell didnt, scelzi didnt, pedregon didn't, palmer didnt, and the list goes on and on.

my vote is still for the austin/force super team. then i'll definitely be trying to book a match race...

9. Will Hanna

Staff Member

king, riddle me this-

good observation with force, but maybe you have it backwards, maybe he's checking out kid lucas and not darien??? :eek:

10. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

Oh I agree with you Will, don't get me wrong. I well aware of the driving difference between any dragster and a funny car. I was just saying that I could see the reasoning they may have with maybe putting her in an A/FD at first.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can drive a tafc you can drive ANYTHING.

Greg