Arias vs MBR

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by SoDak, Oct 30, 2013.

1. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

My perception is the MBR engines are much more popular than the 10 l arias ever was. Why is this as I believe the concepts are the same. Is it that MBR is much better at supplying engines or maybe MBR heads are a lot better?
    What do you think the differences are between the 2?

2. Kamikaze85

Kamikaze85 Member

MBR took over the Fontana 8.3 which had taken over the Arias 8.3. As far as I know, all parts pretty much interchange regardless of which of the 3 you have (And Fontana has started making parts again recently?).
    The 10l Rhino engines were different beast from what I have gathered. Taller deck hight and a drasticly raised cam - Some development could be Oldsmobile derived, since I think some of the R&D turned into the New Century BBC block.

Am I way off base here guys??

3. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I thought the MBR was based off of the 10 liter not the 8.3?

I don't think the KB Olds/New Century has anything more to do with Oldsmobile then the name and maybe a p/n (wasn't this an NHRA prostock car thing?). I spoke to Joe Mondello (Oldsmobile guru) once about this being Oldsmobile and he was a little grumpy about it saying it had nothing to do with Oldsmobile.

Anyway, what is the reason the MBR is so much more popular then the Arias was, is it making that much more power?

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

My bad, it is the 8.3 that this is based from.

5. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

Rhinos rule!

not completely sure of the exact history besides arias selling to Fontana , Fontana selling to minor,etc , but the 10l is a completely different design especially with the raised cam deal. nobody except arias is doing anything with the old motors. minor didn't want it when he bought the 8.3 l . the new 8.3 has been completely updated with billet blocks from aj and cn with new design billet heads with roller rockers now and updated gear drive crank support cover. still a chevy crank and bore centerline. very popular engine in tafc and competitive. has been ruled out for nostalgia funny car by (rheel), but legal for most classes. im sure clint might chime in. the new engine is really nice with the ability to take the pistons out without disturbing the intake/blower, doesn't have the hemi rear main bearing issues due to the chevy rear main in the rear.the service is awesome. you can get ahold of bob any time for input, try calling brad and getting any info. doesn't happen. the only drawback to it is the price of parts. ridiculous. I cant afford new stuff ever, can only buy used and good used parts are really hard to find. almost everybody I talked to before I bought this deal was way happier with these engines than the brad or kb, and haven't changed back since! im sure ill get plummeted for this view, but I did a lot of research before I bought anything. I just wish I wasn't forced to buy a brad to go nfc racing (rheel once again). forgot to say Fontana started production again of heads,manifolds,covers and blocks, then pulled the plug on the whole thing, rick paradise was fired and apparently the new kids that took over cleaned out anybody that was there. I had heard arias was doing 10l stuff recently, but decided not to do 8.3 after all was said. also, funny how rules get changed after some phone calls are made. hmmmmmmmm

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  6. TOL

TOL Active Member

Awhile back I had thought I heard that a tractor puller guy had bought the rights to the 10 litre and was now making new blocks & parts. The name escapes me at the minute (oldtimer's disease). Anyone else hear this?

7. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Was this recently? Maybe Bauer

8. buckeyehauler

buckeyehauler Member

Mbr

The 10 liter stuff was bought by Dale B. in WI. He's not doing anything with the stuff to my knowledge. Bob Miner has done a great job of supplying the truck/ tractor pulling world with great engines and dependable service and parts. It is starting to show, as the minerity is now becoming the majority. LoL. Results usually drives sales! ;) Jessie

9. Frank Kramer

Frank Kramer New Member

Not sure but I think it was Billy Biers.

HEIDRICH PERFORMANCE likes this.
  10. buckeyehauler

buckeyehauler Member

Billy had a bunch of 3" main bearings made by clevite to fit the Arias/Fontana stuff that had 3" main cranks in them, which has since went by the wayside for the most part. Hope you are doing well Frank. I would love to come to Ahoy to watch this winter.

11. SullivanPulling

10l

I think Eddie Carey from KY bought the rights to the 10l stuff a few years ago and started to make billet blocks. Not 100% if he is selling them or not but he has them in his trucks with "Billet 10" on the valve covers.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I think the success has to do with Bob and his hands on approach to his customers.

13. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I'm really really,pleased with my MBR Rhino motor. I haven't found Bob's prices to be too high. His combo seems to be easy on a lot of internal parts, so if they cost a little more and last longer it may be a better deal. There are a couple of improvements that could be made but nothing to get in a twist about. The main reason Brad motors win more tad and tafc races is that way more racers run the Brad stuff. I know of more than a few racers that have told me they would like to try a Miner motor but have way too much invested in the Brad stuff to switch.

14. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Mbr

I bought my first Miner motor in '07, I had ran the KB blocks with Walt Austin heads before that. I would never go back to the 426 based stuff again. I love the idea that I can pull the heads while leaving the blower and intake on the motor. Pulling the heads is a 10 minute job. The rear main bearing is the chevy bearing and the MBR motor never hurts rear mains. Not only does it have a really big bearing but the motor oils from back to front so the rear main gets full flow and the coldest oil. On the Chrysler based motors they oil from front to back so the rear main only gets whatever is left over after everything else is oiled and by then the oil has been thoroughly heated by flowing completely through the motor. Simple little design changes that make it much more reliable and so much easier to service when you do. They have been very successful in truck and tractor pulling and in time we will see them being very successful in drag racing too. Dave Germain

15. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

Fontana

Who is the Fontana Automotive in Brownsburg In. ??

16. NITROBANDIT1

Will the real fontana step forward

the Fontana in indy is the people who bought it from arias, then sold the 8.3 l to bob miner. they also made clevor blocks and 4 cyl midget stuff. their only business now is the 4 cyl midget spec motors on dirt I think. they have a good following this that class. the new people who bought it even started making 8.3l stuff very recently , (the deal they made with miner they couldn't build for so many years after he bought it) but pulled the plug on the whole thing. nobody knows why, but lots of unmachined stuff lying around for it. heres a cool video of my buddys old school 8.3 l doing a warmup! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1lJ5yqSY8A

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Tell that to Joey Severance , Clint Thompson, Steve Gasprelli, Ken Perry, and Doug Gordon. Plus I outrun the hell out of late model Brad stuff on a regular basis in outlaw top dragster races. At the level we are at the tuner makes the difference.

18. TOL

TOL Active Member

Is Rick at Fontana not making billet 8.3's through CN ?........

19. Frank Kramer

Frank Kramer New Member

We are looking forward to pull against Adam Bauer there this winter..:D

20. NITROBANDIT1

Pink slip

no, rick paradise was recently let go. I take it new management wanted to move in another direction...whatever that means? they scrapped the 8.3 program altogether after spending tons of money tooling up and getting parts made. wth? im not sure but cn doesn't seem to be so sure about making blocks anymore. I contacted them, they said talk to miner. apparently because aj is making the new ones now, they aren't interested in making them anymore. cn has no parts for any of the blocks made either. I also agree with jody, mbr have won a lot of races, including a tad world championship just a year or so ago. give one to manzo and see how long it takes !!!!! I am not spending the money to put a aj chevy head on my block, that's ridiculous.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013