Another New Build

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Templar Motorsports, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Templar Motorsports

I know you guys get this all the time. I'm new to the blown alcohol hemi stuff. Looking for guidance and suggestions. I want to go out and have fun with this. I have raced N/A stuff before. This a whole new
    animal. Here it goes;

KB stage 5, 1/2 short deck 4.380 bore.
    Valasco 4.150 billet crank.
    GRP 6.700 rods.
    Morel 1" lifters.
    Brad3 heads 126cc chambers / BAE red stands w rockers.
    Littlfield 14-71 standard helix with front discharge
    Enderle 1100 pump

Rossler 3 speed

Door car full chassis 2650- 2700 lbs

I'm only going to spin this to 8000-8400. Want to keep it alive till I can make some passes and get seat time.
    I know there will be upgrades coming. Does this sound like a reasonable build? Any do's and don'ts welcome.
    I am Grasshopper you guys here are the masters........

2. Templar Motorsports

I hear nothing but crickets......lol

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

was this a running engine? I thought the BAE 3 heads had their own rocker stands that pretty much don't exist anymore.

As far as reliability goes, find a set of good BAE 5-8 type heads and put a set of Reid or another late model rockers on. The oiling and reliability is significantly better.

Get someone to flow and set up the fuel system. Well worth the money. If that pump hasn't been flowed in a while, I would at least send the pump to get flowed and checked because a vane style pump will fade over time.

4. Templar Motorsports

No this is a new build. All new internals. Heads were sent off to Diamond to get pistons matched to the heads. I did want to buy the thicker walled rocker shafts from BAE. I wasn't aware of the rocker issues of the Brad3s till reading older posts on here. I would love a set of Brad5s. But I'm stuck with this build for now because the pistons are made for the heads. So i'd like to get this running safe to get some seat time is the car. Upgrades WILL be a must for running harder. Because of this being a short deck block, it is hard as hell trying to find a blower manifold for it. I need to figure out a spray bar or something to keep the exhaust side push rods happy too. How hard is it to setup a dry sump oiling system on a blown application? I can't wrap my head around the mounting and driving the pump with the blower belt in the way. Sorry for running on. Too many what ifs and stuff going on in my head... lol

5. Templar Motorsports

Mr. Hanna, yes I was going to send the fuel system off to get flowed when it got closer to time to fire it up.

6. td3829mk

td3829mk Member

I made the switch to a hemi 4 years ago and haven’t looked back. A lot of good advice on here by a lot of great folks. BUT keep in mind, the best advice isn’t free. So take everything with a grain of salt. Biggest lessons I learned: spend the money up front to get good parts, you’ll end up spending three times as much in the long run if you don’t. if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t build a Frankenstein motor, the closer your combination is to what others are running the better advice you’ll get. Otherwise you’re just listening to key board warriors who think x will also apply to z when that’s not the case. Like Will said, get your entire fuel system flowed. Best insurance you can buy for these things. Whatever you think you’re going to spend on everything, multiply that by 2. Try not to be the guy that thinks he’s getting a great deal on used parts that are worn out and out-dated. If they last you long enough to realize you want to upgrade, you’ll never get rid of them and if you do you’ll have to deal with earning the reputation of being the guy that sells junk. Just a few pro tips, good luck!

7. Templar Motorsports

td3829mk
    Thank you for the advice.
    I'm not sure how to respond. I didn't think that I was building a Frankenstein motor. A 500" KB short deck with Brad3 heads I felt was fairly common build. Not so much now with the MUCH newer BAE heads available. In older posts guys with WAY more experience than I have, have done very well with Brad3 heads. Those guys were able to get around the oiling issues and rocker gear issues some how. I was hoping that they would want to share advice on what to do and what not to do.

As I stated earlier I am new to the Hemi side. I know all too well good advise isn't free. But isn't that why ITA was created? So that people that love doing what we do can succeed? So people that love doing this sport don't have to spend dumptruck loads of money to learn the hard way? I have spent a shit ton of money on good parts (internals) and yes my block and heads are of older technology but are still good pieces.

So am I to start over on the build? Take the entire head assembly and new pistons and just throw them in the trash. Then go buy complete Brad8s and re-order 10 new pistons to match the chambers?

Sorry this went sideways and so off topic.....

8. td3829mk

td3829mk Member

Of course not. Sorry I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you asked for guidance, suggestions and do’s/don’ts. Just trying to help. I was in the same situation as you when I made the switch. KB block, older heads, all used parts that appeared to be in much better shape than they turned out to be once everything started going together. The block needed work and I tried for weeks on end to get ahold of KB with no luck. It was hard for me to find parts readily available for the head combination since no one ran it anymore. It turned out to be a lot of wasted time, money and frustration. If I’d had listened to guys tell me the same things I told you it would’ve saved me over $20k in the end. This also goes back to what I mentioned about taking advice, everyone has different experiences and will give you different answers. And yes, most of us are here to help share that knowledge and those experiences. But don’t get defensive when you don’t agree with advice you asked for and to an extent the advice will only get you so far until it starts costing you. A lot of folks make a living off of the knowledge they’ve gained over the years. Why would they throw it all out on a forum for free? Hopefully this helps, take it or leave it and good luck to you.

9. Templar Motorsports

Yes Sir,
    I totally understand what you are saying. I do agree that people make a living off this sport. Little pee ons like me wont make them much at all. Just give them a headache. lol.

Yes I am looking for do's and don'ts. I was hoping this forum site was better that others as far as racers helping racers. I wasn't trying to be defensive. Just disappointed.

I screwed up by getting into the Brad3s before I knew that the parts were so damn hard to get for them anymore. I am not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. So yes the guidance of how to get around their flaws is where this was hoping to go. If I can't then a whole bunch of aluminum is going to the recyclers. Then start over with heads and pistons again.

Thank you and good luck to you as well.

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Are your heads BAE 3 Fatheads or BAE 3 Fuel heads? Does your motor take 426 style valve covers (slight curve on one side) or does it take Fathead style covers?

11. Templar Motorsports

Yes it is the Brad3 fuel heads. One of the plug holes has a plug in it. Can be taken out if wanting to run dual plugs.

12. shawn

shawn New Member

You said you're in WA, right? Take the whole fuel system to Walt Austins and he'll have Jim come flow it. No shipping needed if you're in driving distance of Puyallup.

shawn

13. Templar Motorsports

Hi Shawn
    Thank you for that info! Yes I'm in the upper Seattle area. Do you know of any reputable builders in Washington as well?

Greg

14. shawn

shawn New Member

Engine wise? Walt has a complete machine shop in there, too. Lots of hemi's gone through that shop over the years . They also build custom pushrods in house.
    Shawn

15. Templar Motorsports

Awesome thank you!

16. Templar Motorsports

Thank you everyone for your help.
    I boxed everything up and sent it to another guy. He wanted everything and has the spare parts to keep it going.